Re: why does outlook always reset exchange server to be default mail

• Thread starter Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]
  • Start date
S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Are you using an Exchange account on Microsoft Small Business Server 2003? If so, users with non-Exchange accounts in the same profile as the Exchange account may see the default mail account always revert to the Exchange account, regardless of the user’s previous choice. A registry entry is available to prevent the SBS login script from changing the transport order:

Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\ClientSetup
Value Name: NoTransportOrder
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/defaultacct.htm for more information.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

G

Well I'm confused...or perhaps i jsut didnt provide enough information...I'm
running Office 2k7 on top of Vista x64.
I went lookign for the Registry entries you provided and I cant find
them...there IS a registry entry in the "Curretn User" section...So i added
the NoTransportOrder entry there...but that didnt seem to work. Outlook2k7
still changed account orders
then i went and added the whole key/subkey/entry to the HKLM section and I
stillahd the same results.

I AM supposed to be doign this on the cleint machine right? :)

Any other help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Christopher

G

More info...I have an SBS 2k3 domain (which is probably important)...the
client is outlook 2k7. the POP accounts i'm using are hosted at the client
and not at the exchange server.

S

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I'm not sure what you're confused about. After you made the registry change, did you also change the Outlook mail profile settings to be the way you want them to be? Are you saying that the changes didn't stick? If that is the case, then you can try the other solutions on the page I suggested.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003

and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

Reaction score
Setting Default Mail Svr on SBS2003 client

Sue,
I have been using the HKLM-Software-Microsoft-SmallBusinessServer-ClientSetup fix for a number of years just fine on Windows XP. Now my clients are getting Windows 7 64bit workstations and this registry key does not exist.
As the Guest poster noted in his previous post he was on Vista 64bit and using Outlook 2007. My clients are still using Outlook 2003 but eventually that'll change too. Maybe even Outlook 2010.
He noted that the HKCU-Software-Microsoft-SmallBusinessServer-ClientSetup key exists and like him I added the Dword = NoTransportOrder with value =1 rebooted and Outlook defaults back to Exchange being the default email account.
So then I created the HKLM-Software-Microsoft-SmallBusinessServer-ClientSetup key and Dword with value = 1 and rebooted and this still did NOT solve the problem.
So how do we fix this on Windows 7 (and Vista) 64bit?
Thanks,
Rick

Reaction score
This is because Office 2007 and below only have 32-bit versions. Therefore, the reg key to go to on a 64-bit OS is under HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\ClientSetup. Create the NoTransportOrder DWord value if necessary and give it a value of 1 as usual.

Ask a Question