re-installing windows xp on a rebuilt computer

I am sorry if this is a long post, but I want all the facts out.

Back in 1999 I built my first computer, I loaded Windows 2000 at the time as
the OS. A coupled of years later I upgraded to Windows XP with a copy I
purchased from BestBuy. The computer ran great until 2005. Then all kinds if
weird things began to happen. Eventually I built another computer (my 3rd)
and ported all my stuff to it. I put the retired system into the junk heap
and robbed it for parts occasionally. Late last year I decided to use it as
the basis for a WHS Server. I put newer CPU's in it, but used the same Mobo.
It was a Tyan mobo with dual P3's. I replaced the CPU's with dual 933's I got
for next to nothing and put in new hard drives. It has 2 40 Gbyte and 2 300
Gbyte HD's now. The original 60 Gbyte HD I used had been re-used so it was
not available. All other hardware is the same.

My question is: Can I re-install Windows XP on the system without having to
buy another license? I have the original CD somewhere ( I will find it if I
have too.) and installation key. The only problem is that I have 3 copies of
the Windows XP retail upgrade but do not know which key goes with which
computer.

I could not get WHS to install and will build a new computer this fall and
purchase the WHS software (If you wonder).

Thanks for rading this message. Thanks for any help I get

Doyle

Ghostrider

Re-install Windows XP on a Rebuilt compu said:
[...]

If the Windows XP upgrade that was installed into this particular
motherboard is not being used in any other machine and the same applies
for the qualifying Windows 2000, then its license can be re-used. Nor
should it really matter which copy of the Windows XP retail upgrade is
being used...provided that they are all the same version. Otherwise,
they have to be sorted out by version and the product keys matched to
the versions.

Rich Barry

You should not have a problem as long as the XP Upgrade CD's are not
OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacture).
They are usually sold with a computer or computer component. If you
purchased a Retail Upgrade Version of WinXP
from BB then you are Ok.

"Re-install Windows XP on a Rebuilt compu" <Re-install Windows XP on a
Rebuilt (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Ghostrider said:
If the Windows XP upgrade that was installed into this particular
motherboard is not being used in any other machine and the same applies
for the qualifying Windows 2000, then its license can be re-used. Nor
should it really matter which copy of the Windows XP retail upgrade is
being used...provided that they are all the same version. Otherwise,
they have to be sorted out by version and the product keys matched to
the versions.

Thanks for your response. When you say version of Windows XP do you mean
Home vs Professional?

Thanks again

Doyle

Rich Barry said:
You should not have a problem as long as the XP Upgrade CD's are not
OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacture).
They are usually sold with a computer or computer component. If you
purchased a Retail Upgrade Version of WinXP
from BB then you are Ok.

"Re-install Windows XP on a Rebuilt compu" <Re-install Windows XP on a
Rebuilt (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message

Thanks

Doyle

Ghostrider

Doyle said:
:

Thanks for your response. When you say version of Windows XP do you mean
Home vs Professional?

Thanks again

Doyle

Being a retail Windows XP product, the "upgrade" disc could be either
Home or Professional.

Patrick Keenan

Doyle Stroup said:
Thanks for your response. When you say version of Windows XP do you mean
Home vs Professional?

Thanks again

Doyle

"version" in this specific case - since you've specified that it's an
upgrade - would mean only Home or Pro. If it wasn't an upgrade, it would
mean OEM, what particular OEM, full install, upgrade, etc. Upgrade CDs
are only available as retail products, never as OEM.

So you'll just need to try one key after another till you get the right one.
You do have to have some sort of qualifying CD (like W98 SE, ME, W2K) or be
upgrading from a qualifying OS. However, there's a limit there, too; If
your system is running windows 2000 presently, you can't use an upgrade
version of XP Home, as that is considered a *downgrade*. You could only
use a Pro upgrade CD.

HTH
-pk

Ron Badour

The others have filled you in on all but one item. I assume the XP CD was
activated at some point and since you are changing so much hardware, you
probably will not be able to activate on line. If so, just give MS a call
and do a manual activation over the phone.

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP 1997 - 2007

Ron Badour said:
The others have filled you in on all but one item. I assume the XP CD was
activated at some point and since you are changing so much hardware, you
probably will not be able to activate on line. If so, just give MS a call
and do a manual activation over the phone.

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP 1997 - 2007

"Re-install Windows XP on a Rebuilt compu" <Re-install Windows XP on a
Rebuilt (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message

Thanks again to all that have commented. A couple more questions.

1, If I want to re-install Windows XP do I have to install Windows 2000
and then upgrade it again? I have the Windows 2000 CD.

2. Do I have to use my original Windows XP CD? I cannot do a clean
install with because it is an upgrade CD.

Thanks to everyone again!

Doyle

Ron Badour

You can do a clean install with an upgrade CD--during installation it will
ask to see your W2K CD to ensure you have a qualifying system.

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my request for help. I am
very appreciative of your efforts to assist me.

I got the system rerady today and tried to start the install of XP. It only
got a little ways into setup and it re-booted spontaneously. This happpened 3
or 4 times in a row. It would re-boot at different spots in setup and I could
not spot any pattern. This happened with the Windows XP and with the Windpws
2000 D's.

I changed out the DVD dive with another and the same thing happened,
Somnething is wrong with the system, so I am not going to beat myself to
death, but Iwill get a new mobo, cpu, and memory and build another computer.

End of Story

Thanks again everybody

Doyle