Re: How to print accurately sized circles ?


T

Terry Farrell

Easy peasy! Open the Drawing Toolbar. Select the OVAL shape from the Shapes
group and draw an oval (don't worry about its shape or size whilst drawing
it).

Now right-click on the edge of the circle and select Format AutoShape. Click
on the Size tab and enter 2 mm for both the width and height; then click on
the Colours and Lines tab and change the line thickness to 0.25 pt (the
thinnest setting) and close the dialog. You now have a 2 mm circle. If you
Ctl+right click on it you can drag off a copy of it. Right-click the copy
and change it to 3x3 mm and so on.

If you need to accurately position them, you may need to either turn of the
Snap To grid or hold down the Alt key (which overrides snap to) whilst
dragging into position. Once they are all positioned, you can lock them
together by selecting the first circle, then shift selecting all the others,
right-clicking on the selecting and choosing Grouping | Group. Now the
objects will all be locked together and can be moved as one item.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

JoAnn Paules

My concern is that the printer needs to print it as accurately as the user
states. I'd be willing to bet that the next step is to stick this in a
copier and make multiple copies. Argh.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
 
T

Terry Farrell

Definitely oval circles then...

Terry

JoAnn Paules said:
My concern is that the printer needs to print it as accurately as the user
states. I'd be willing to bet that the next step is to stick this in a
copier and make multiple copies. Argh.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

JoAnn Paules

I spent 22 years doing drafting and I know what copiers can do to a scaled
object. And the results are inconsitent so you can't compensate for it
before the fact.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"



Terry Farrell said:
Definitely oval circles then...

Terry

JoAnn Paules said:
My concern is that the printer needs to print it as accurately as the
user states. I'd be willing to bet that the next step is to stick this in
a copier and make multiple copies. Argh.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"



Terry Farrell said:
Easy peasy! Open the Drawing Toolbar. Select the OVAL shape from the
Shapes group and draw an oval (don't worry about its shape or size
whilst drawing it).

Now right-click on the edge of the circle and select Format AutoShape.
Click on the Size tab and enter 2 mm for both the width and height; then
click on the Colours and Lines tab and change the line thickness to 0.25
pt (the thinnest setting) and close the dialog. You now have a 2 mm
circle. If you Ctl+right click on it you can drag off a copy of it.
Right-click the copy and change it to 3x3 mm and so on.

If you need to accurately position them, you may need to either turn of
the Snap To grid or hold down the Alt key (which overrides snap to)
whilst dragging into position. Once they are all positioned, you can
lock them together by selecting the first circle, then shift selecting
all the others, right-clicking on the selecting and choosing Grouping |
Group. Now the objects will all be locked together and can be moved as
one item.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

I want to use word to print some black circles which are 2mm, 3mm,
4mm, etc. They need to be accurate to about 5 or 6 percent.

Is there a feature in Word which will let me do this?

Thank you.

N.



PS: If it's relevant I am using Word 2003 on XP/SP2 and print onto
A4 paper (297mm by 210mm).
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top