RAM installation questions.....

Reaction score
I have installed RAM a few times without any problems, but I've also removed RAM and damaged it, I think maybe due to static charge?

How do I avoid short circuiting RAM? And which bits of the RAM should I avoid touching?

I have some very tricky RAM to install into a laptop, involving some very tight spaces :(

Reaction score
Dont touch the gold contacts or silver contacts at the bottom of the RAM Chip, unclip the RAM stick and hold either side of it near to where the clip that hold's it when seated in the RAM Slot on the Motherboard.

Try to ground yourself before touching RAM by earthing against say the radiator pipe.:thumb:
Get a copy of Upgrading & Repairing Laptops by Scott Mueller from your local Library if worried re: laptop ram installation.:thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
mojouk said:
Would latex gloves do?
Just earthing yourself if worried before hand will do:thumb:
No idea about latex, not my thing:rolleyes:
Wearing latex gloves could be more of a problem, some have a dusting of talc in them, which if burst could leave a deposit in the pc!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do I need anti static wrist strap (not to go with the latex gloves ;) )

Or does just touching a grounded object directly enough?

Sorry about the obvious questions but I'm no techie, and science was never my strength at school :blush:

Reaction score
mojouk said:
Do I need anti static wrist strap (not to go with the latex gloves ;) )

Or does just touching a grounded object directly enough?

Sorry about the obvious questions but I'm no techie, and science was never my strength at school :blush:
OK, touching the radiator pipe should ground you OK. If wearing an anti-static wrist strap it needs to be earthed, so you could earth it to the radiator pipe!

All questions re: anti-static are normal so dont worry:thumb:
I'm not great at explaining this and normally end up talking techie!:blush:

Reaction score
It was touch and go but I managed to do it :thumb:

The laptop has recongnized the 2GB RAM I put in and now I'm copying about 5GB of work from the laptop to an external hard drive.

BUT I'm coming accross a major problem :wall: The laptop keeps on crashing as it's copying.

Is there a reason for this? The laptop has a 2.8Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM, 128MB ATi shared graphics and a 40GB HDD.

Why would it be crashing? :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey mojouk, as a Mod I can read your deleted message and..... :lol:

Glad it's sorted anyway :)

The static problem with computer components is, in my opinion, exagerrated.

I have never ever blown any component through handling and I don't use a wrist strap. Just do as feckit suggested and earth yourself against a good earth such as a radiator pipe and you'll be ok.

Of course, if you wear plastic shoes, walk around on a nylon based carpet and rub party balloons all over your jumper, you may experience problems.......

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hey mojouk, as a Mod I can read your deleted message and.....
laughingsmiley.gif

Of course, if you wear plastic shoes, walk around on a nylon based carpet and rub party balloons all over your jumper, you may experience problems.......
Now i know why being a mod here has it's perks:lol:

Reaction score
Thanks for that floppybootstomp. Yes I felt like a complete wally when I realized the laptop eventually shut down because the battery ran out. :blush:

Joking aside. I've been on this laptop for 1/2 an hour and I just remembered why I hate laptops and LOVE my Desktop.

Laptops do crash more than desktops...actually my desktop hardly ever crashes (touch wood). Yet this laptop has already crashed 3 times (since I powered up the battery).

I do deal with huge (GB's) files, as I work with high resolution images, so maybe that's the problem. :(

Ask a Question