RAID1 Questions...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new computer, i have never used RAID before, and want to check that what i have picked up over time is correct!

Basically, the computer need 2 hard drives, both of the drives must be identical so that if one fails, all i have to do is tell it to boot from the second drive, and the computer wil start up with the same files, settings, programs etc. than if i started it up from Drive#1

as far as i am aware, i can do this by setting 2 SATA drives of the same size to RAID1 - is this correct? and can any computer that supports 2 SATA drives also support RAID1, or can only some support it?

I would appreciate any help you can offer :)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

Enjoy!

user.gif

Reaction score
Spoke to Alasdair on MSN about this, seemed to of given him some information to help his decision, although not all motherboard make it easy to enable RAID, but most motherboard now support it.

Just look for the options in the BIOS.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You're correct about RAID 1.

The motherboard will need an onboard RAID controller to enable RAID.

Or you can add a pci slot RAID controller card if motherboard has no RAID facility.

Ask a Question