R1C1 - how can I permanently undo this setting in Excel?


G

Guest

Despite changing the setting under Options/General where I uncheck the box
"R1C1" every time I open Excel, it does not seem to store my setting
permanently. How can I permanently undo this setting so that I work in "A1"
mode?

Thankx
Sheila
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave Peterson

Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook you open in that session.
If you're unlucky enough that your first workbook opened is in R1C1 reference
style, you'll have to make the change.

Do you save the workbook after you make the change to A1 reference style?

Do you have a coworker who likes R1C1 and saves it that way? (Could mean a
fight!)
 
B

Bob Phillips

Could it be that you have the workbook template setup in R1C1, it is
Book.xlt in the XLStart directory.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)
 
G

Guest

Hi Dave

Thankx for the reply but I'm still battling. I had this problem on Office
2003 and after completely un-installing that version and then doing a brand
new install of Office 2007 beta release 2, I have the same problem. This
kinda tells me that this setting is held in some kind of profile file or such
like 'cos like I say I completely un-installed Office 2003.

I am the only user of these worksheets as I'm saving them on my own laptop.
If I just launch Excel and do nothing else other than change that setting
and then close out of Excel I stil have the problem when I come back in.

I appreciate your suggestions.
Thankx
Sheila
 
N

Niek Otten

HI Sheila,

Do look at Bob's suggestion

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

| Hi Dave
|
| Thankx for the reply but I'm still battling. I had this problem on Office
| 2003 and after completely un-installing that version and then doing a brand
| new install of Office 2007 beta release 2, I have the same problem. This
| kinda tells me that this setting is held in some kind of profile file or such
| like 'cos like I say I completely un-installed Office 2003.
|
| I am the only user of these worksheets as I'm saving them on my own laptop.
| If I just launch Excel and do nothing else other than change that setting
| and then close out of Excel I stil have the problem when I come back in.
|
| I appreciate your suggestions.
| Thankx
| Sheila
|
|
|
| "Dave Peterson" wrote:
|
| > Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook you open in that session.
| > If you're unlucky enough that your first workbook opened is in R1C1 reference
| > style, you'll have to make the change.
| >
| > Do you save the workbook after you make the change to A1 reference style?
| >
| > Do you have a coworker who likes R1C1 and saves it that way? (Could mean a
| > fight!)
| >
| > Sheila wrote:
| > >
| > > Despite changing the setting under Options/General where I uncheck the box
| > > "R1C1" every time I open Excel, it does not seem to store my setting
| > > permanently. How can I permanently undo this setting so that I work in "A1"
| > > mode?
| > >
| > > Thankx
| > > Sheila
| > >
| >
| > --
| >
| > Dave Peterson
| >
 
G

Guest

Hi Bob

Thankx for your suggestion. I found a file called "personal.xls" in that
folder (not book.xlt) and I opened it and then made the change and saved it
and my problem is solved!!!!

You pointed me in the right direction and I thank you for that.

Cheers
Sheila



Bob Phillips said:
Could it be that you have the workbook template setup in R1C1, it is
Book.xlt in the XLStart directory.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bob Phillips

Of course, I should have thought about Personal.xls as well.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)

Sheila said:
Hi Bob

Thankx for your suggestion. I found a file called "personal.xls" in that
folder (not book.xlt) and I opened it and then made the change and saved it
and my problem is solved!!!!

You pointed me in the right direction and I thank you for that.

Cheers
Sheila
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

essential

This relates to an issue I'm trying to figure out. In my case I have no
listing in the XLstart directory. Any idea why? Any other suggestions?

Bob Phillips said:
Could it be that you have the workbook template setup in R1C1, it is
Book.xlt in the XLStart directory.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct)
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top