Quick Launch bar can not be opened

Dave

Hi there

Wonder if anyone can help. When I try to open the quick
launch bar on XP Pro it displays the error message 'Can
not create tool bar'

I've done a quick search on the KB and it suggests a fix
for Win98 where you recreate the Quick Launch folder
under the users profile. I've checked the respective
place in XP and the folder is there.

can any one help?

Thanks

Dave

Ramesh [MVP]

Dave,

Visit www.dougknox.com, click 'Windows XP Fixes' and look for the fix "Cannot Create Toolbar For..... error message". Download the VBScript and double-click it. Restart and now, try to enable Quick Launch bar.

Or, download Taskbar Repair Plus! util from here:

Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

ExportZone - for Internet Explorer:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ExportZone.htm

Hi there

Wonder if anyone can help. When I try to open the quick
launch bar on XP Pro it displays the error message 'Can
not create tool bar'

I've done a quick search on the KB and it suggests a fix
for Win98 where you recreate the Quick Launch folder
under the users profile. I've checked the respective
place in XP and the folder is there.

can any one help?

Thanks

Dave

Ramesh [MVP]

The folder must be present here:
[\Documents and Settings\Userprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch]

If it is present, the Application Data in the registry may be pointing somewhere: Open Regedit.exe and go to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData]
Post the value present there.

--
[...]

Checked and the value was't correct (pointing towards
c:\windows). However I amended it to c:\documents and
settings\username\application data, and this has not
resolved the issue. On a reboot it changes it back to
c:\windows again

Dave

"Ramesh [MVP]" <sramesh2k@\REMOV_NOSPAM\.hotmail.com>
wrote in message
Dave,

Visit www.dougknox.com, click 'Windows XP Fixes' and
look for the fix "Cannot Create Toolbar For..... error
message". Download the VBScript and double-click it.
Restart and now, try to enable Quick Launch bar.
Or, download Taskbar Repair Plus! util from here:

Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

ExportZone - for Internet Explorer:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ExportZone.htm

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

Ramesh [MVP]

Dave,

Change it here as well:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShell Folders
AppData = %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
Local AppData = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data

Similarly do the changes in "Shell Folders". The values are:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data

Reboot!