Quick GPU question

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My computer spec in link to left of this post but the main point is I'm using an Nvidia 9800GTX Video card 512Mb RAM atm.

The question is would an Nvidia GTX 550 be a significant improvement for around £120?

All my games run ok with the exception of CoD Black Ops which is unplayable in multiplayer and has to run at fairly low res to avoid stuttering. There are, howver, few recent games I can run maxed out, if any.

The 550 costs between £115 and £140 depending on version purchased. Next step up, the 560, costs between £195 and £250 and I can't really afford that just yet. Neither can I afford at this moment in time a complete computer upgrade.

Buying another card would free up another 9800 which I'd probably put in the media computer, which is possibly a waste as the onboard graphics cope admirably with all requirements atm.

So, basic question - would £120 buy me a noticeable improvement or should I stash the loot and wait until I have some more loot?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting link V_R, can't believe they look at exactly the two cards that concern me.

Just a shame they don't do any real tests and reach a conclusion/summary.

But - in theory there would seem to be an improvement. But I still wonder whether CoD Black Ops MP will run ok without upgrading the complete computer setup, particularly extra cores.

Perhaps I should wait until I have about a grand to spare - motherboard; CPU; cooler; memory; GPU; SSD Drive for OS; bigger storage drive.

It would be nice to play Black Ops MP though :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I was going to sugest a 460 as I got mine for £114 but they seem to be more expensive at the moment. They run a bit cooler than the 550 and have very similar frame rates.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review/12

However, the limitations of the cut-down GPU of the GTX 550 Ti 1GB are still there to see, especially if you have a 1,920 x 1,080 screen and want to play your games at their best. In Bad Company 2 the GeForce GTX 460 1GB offers 20-30 per cent more performance, from a card that’s roughly 30 per cent more expensive (based on the estimated price of £100 for the GTX 550 Ti 1GB and the £131 Gainward GeForce GTX 460 768MB Green.

My 460's are only the 768 versions and they run fairly quietly.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice link Mr Reef :thumb:

I was thinking a 460 but my understanding was they ran hot and noisy compared to the 5 series :confused:

I think £120.00 is a fair price for an upgrade, a small upgrade perhaps but probably a significant one.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is a bit old but relevant. Check out the Metro frame rates you might get to play it yet if you buy a 460. :lol:

Metro2033 plays just fine with my 9800GTX. It's not any incompatibility with my graphics card I have issues with but the absolutely awful game itself, huge pile of poo as far as I'm concerned, I won't be going back there.

Which means I have a worthless game I paid £30.00 for gathering dust on a shelf.

Almost threw it in The Thames but can't bring myself to do it, it may come in useful for something one day, or maybe I can transfer the Steam licence to a friend, dunno

This is why I very rarely, if ever, buy games new at full price now, patience pays off ;)

Might have to bite the bullet on Starcraft 2 though, still isn't any cheaper :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Metro2033 plays just fine with my 9800GTX. It's not any incompatibility with my graphics card I have issues with but the absolutely awful game itself, huge pile of poo as far as I'm concerned, I won't be going back there.

Which means I have a worthless game I paid £30.00 for gathering dust on a shelf.

Almost threw it in The Thames but can't bring myself to do it, it may come in useful for something one day, or maybe I can transfer the Steam licence to a friend, dunno

This is why I very rarely, if ever, buy games new at full price now, patience pays off ;)

Might have to bite the bullet on Starcraft 2 though, still isn't any cheaper :(

Ah ha thought it was a frame rate problem you had. The 9800GTX was a pretty good value buy for you. :D

Ask a Question