Questions on Outlook Express 6.0 and McAfee

G

Ok I hope these are the final annoyances (yeah right) that I find in XP, at least for awhile. I have a few different one's to list here and I hope I can find out a little bit at least about each of them.

First, in OE6 there is an option on the send tab to set whether you want to compose an email in plain text or html. By default, mine were set to plain text, so I changed them to html. When doing so, I noticed a very strange thing at the top of any email which contained an attachment, either sent by me in my sent items folder, or received in my inbox folder. The message says this: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail: (and then lists whatever attachments were in the email). At first I panicked and thought I had a virus of some sort so I made sure my McAfee was totally up to date and scanned my entire system. No viruses were found. I need to find out why it's saying the attachments are unsafe, and why it's removing access to them, and what exactly that means

Second, I can't send mp3 files anymore through my OE6. On my old computer using the same ISP I could send as large of a file, and any type of file, that I wanted with no problems. On this new computer, I can send image files (.jpg's etc.) with no problem, but when I attempted to send an mp3 I got the following message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'mp3', Account: 'dmcom.net', Server: 'dmcom.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F. I was attempting to send an mp3 to my friend's Hotmail account so my first thought was that Hotmail limits the size of files it can receive. So, I set the option to break down emails larger than 500kb's...and it still didn't send, giving me the same error. I then tried to send the file to myself...same error. It's got to be an OE6 problem...not a problem with my ISP. Any ideas

This third one relates to the second problem. While attempting to send the mp3's I received a pop-up from McAfee telling me there was a potential worm in the last few emails I sent. I scanned every single email (again making sure my McAfee was completely up to date), and then scanned every attachment in every email...then scanned my entire system, and found no worm. Is this a possible glitch in either OE6 or McAfee? Or, do I have a worm that it can't find?

Thanks AGAIN for any help you can provide. I'm very glad I found this newsgroup!

G

Ok Sorry I just realized I put this in the wrong newsgroup, however, since it's already here I hope I'll be able to get a response anyhow. After I found the OE newsgroup I reviewed some posts there and found the answer to my OE6 problem of removing access to attachments.

However, I turned off the scan email function on my McAfee and it still will not allow me to send mp3's. I still get the same error. I couldn't find any other fixes in the newsgroup to work. Also, I'm still worried about why it says there is a potential worm in the last few emails I've sent when McAfee says I have no worms. Any help would be appreciated.

J

+-J

| Ok Sorry I just realized I put this in the wrong newsgroup, however, since it's already here I hope I'll be able to get a response
anyhow. After I found the OE newsgroup I reviewed some posts there and found the answer to my OE6 problem of removing access to
attachments.
|
| However, I turned off the scan email function on my McAfee and it still will not allow me to send mp3's. I still get the same
error. I couldn't find any other fixes in the newsgroup to work. Also, I'm still worried about why it says there is a potential worm
in the last few emails I've sent when McAfee says I have no worms. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you personally own the copyright to the content of those .MP3 files?

As for the McAfee issue, it might be useful to contact McAfee.

G

No, I didn't create the mp3's. I found them on various sites on the Internet. It's just very odd that OE6 would restrict me from sending copyrighted material. How would OE6 know if I owned the copyright or not? That's just odd. And, wouldn't it be illegal to restrict someone from sending any file they wanted to send to whoever they wanted to send it to? Scenario one: what if a friend of mine created an mp3, then sent it to me, and then gave me permission to send it to another friend. It makes no sense to restrict copyrighted files from being emailed in this respect. So this brings me back to my question of how on earth do I send mp3's via email now? Again, any help is appreciated.

G

Gene K

Janice,
On the attachment problem: Outlook
Express/Tools/Options/Security/uncheckmark sentence "Do not allow
attachments to be saved or opened,etc,."

G

Thanks Gene...I discovered the answer to that one in a few (dozen lol) posts on the Outlook Express newsgroup. But I appreciate you taking time to help.

Ask a Question