Subject: Question: DVD Player to Computer
From: (e-mail address removed)2.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to play a DVD movie on one's pc
from a stand alone DVD player's outputs?(ie: Composite, S-Video, DVI,
RCA).

If so, what software and hardware would be needed?
Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

You would need a video capture card that accepted one of those formats.
It would like cost about the same as buying a $50 DVD drive and the DVD
drive would have a better picture.

Digital Video Solutions

No software would do it alone. Some hardware with analog inputs (RCA or
S-Video) would be necessary. Even then you may run across the problem found
on many video tapes having copyguard on them where the picture dims and
darkens for several seconds or minutes at a time. The quality would be ok
otherwise, not much different than using the analog inputs of your TV for
viewing. The cost may be prohibitive in some respects depending on the video
capture card you purchase.

In order to watch the video you would always have to have the capture
software open while viewing the DVD. The best solution would be to purchase
either a DVD-ROM or DVD writer drive. Playback using a DVD-ROM drive would
be achieved using a software player. If one does not ship with the drive
many VGA card manufacturers have one provided with their software.

Big Bill

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to play a DVD movie on one's pc
from a stand alone DVD player's outputs?(ie: Composite, S-Video, DVI,
RCA).

If so, what software and hardware would be needed?
Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

It seems to me that if all you want to do is watch the movie, you'd be
better buying a DVD ROM drive; they come with software to do this, and
the quality would be better than what you describe.
Otherwise, you'd obviously need something like a video card with the
right inputs.

Searcher7

Having to turn on my pc also, seem like a big waste.

I do have an ATI video card in my system that has an A/V input and an
A/V output that look indentical. I don't know what they're called, but
they are circular and have 8 holes.(I just have to find the cables
which are buried somewhere).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.