Quake 4 Opinions

Reaction score
What are your opinions on Quake 4?

I got the game today instead of Call of Duty 2, because it was on offer. Maybe I shouldn't of.

As the game uses an expanded version of the Doom 3 engine, it looks brilliant. However, it still feels really monotonous, especially when coupled with the numbing gameplay. It seems to keep that element of Doom3 that involved enemies meaninglessly jumping out from nowhere, and stupidly running toward you with a big silly gun. This seems a little dissapointing - considering these alien creatures are supposed to be intelligent beings with technology vastly superior to our own. Why are they so bloody stupid and violent, then?! And how much time can you be expected to spend clicking your finger at multiple random alien creatures before it starts getting repetative?

It seems that IDsoftware are still designing games for the teenage boys of 1995, when gamers have matured to expect far more emotional and intellectual depth. Its certainly not a 'bad' game when compared to the hundreds of titles that are released and then quickly forgotten every year. However, its an all too perfect example of developers using the latest-most-stunning technology to create a mundane, run-of-the-mill example of a genre. Part of the reason I say this is because this is a game that will require a £600+ PC, and a proof of age certificate for an 18 year old. And yet, it still plays like something for school kids with ADD.

There are some games out there that are truly orginal, artistic, interesting, and mentally demanding - and this ain't one of em'. ID are more than capable of creating engrossing titles - so why don't they push things forward a bit?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You shouldda got CoD 2 ;)

My opinion

I'm pretty much in agreement with you actually.

Incidentally, I played that part where they turn the main character into a Strogg the evening before I went into Hospital for an op. I wish I hadn't of done that :eek:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I love it, prefer it over Call Of Duty 2 for sure. Yeah it gets abit samey, but thats what Quakes all about. If you bought it thinking it was going to be nothing like any other Quake, then you were sadly mistaken.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Never got it in the end, picked CoD2 instead and i wasn't disapointed!! Fantastic game!! :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you want pure corn, total lack of innovation, oodles of mindless violence, hours and hours of killing and the corniest jokes this side of Alpha Centauri, treat yourself to:

Serious Sam II

It's mindless and I love it :D

Reaction score
I think the game needs more empathic characters, and spectacular scenes - like we get in the Half Life games. You know, with lots of over-romantisised music and thaught provocing moments. It would have been great if it was more 'Blade Runner' and a bit less 'Doom: The movie'.

Perhaps I'm a hypocrite - I don't want anything too demanding, but won't play anything too repetative. I did have the new Civilisation game staring me in the face, but I chose not to take the risk! 'Elderscrolls: Oblivion' is probably the only ambitious and interesting game Im aware of at the moment, but now it's been delayed it looks like we'll be waiting untill after christmas...

Reaction score
Woah!

Okay, starting to see the beauty in the game now! Jeez, it just gets prettier and prettier all the way through! I don't care about the gameplay now, I'm just gonna play in God mode and crank up the settings!

Here's some shots I took earlier!

Attachments

• Quake4 1.JPG
    Quake4 1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Quake4 2.JPG
    Quake4 2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Quake4 3.JPG
    Quake4 3.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 176

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Haha, quite true tom, the further you get into Quake 4, the better it gets.

Initially can be quite disappointing, but gets better.

As I said, nothing special, but I'm still playing it.

It's a good fps, has some nice touches, but imo will never be GOTY.

God mode? tut tut ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If you want pure corn

Yes i love Serious Sam, i havent play 2 though. Is it like the old ones or better?
and for Quake, dont expect depth, its quake the father of deathmatch.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Alf said:
and for Quake, dont expect depth, its quake the father of deathmatch.
If i remember right, the even number editions are single player and the odd number editions are multiplayer. So the next one out should be a multiplayer one! :thumb:

As for Quake 4, well i finished CoD2 last night, so its time to buy this i guess!!! ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf: Serious Sam 2 is more of Serious Sam 1 and Serious Sam: Second Encounter - it's serious ;)

Different monsters, different weapons, slightly better graphics, more jokes. It's just about different enough and updated to make it a worthwhile purchase.

VR:

Quake One (which installed under DOS) was single player.
Quake Two was single and multiplayer.
Quake Three was multiplayer only.
Quake Four is both.

Quake One inspired a host of imitators in it's day and was itself inspired by the Doom series.

And Doom, of course, was inspired by Castle Wolfenstein.

Quake One was also the first decent fps to use 3D. Probably the one game I've enjoyed the most. Ever.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
VR:

Quake One (which installed under DOS) was single player.
Quake Two was single and multiplayer.
Quake Three was multiplayer only.
Quake Four is both.
Sorry my bad. :blush:

Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
If i remember right, the even number editions are single player and the odd number editions are multiplayer. So the next one out should be a multiplayer one! :thumb:

Well the fact that Quake 4 neglected its multiplayer mode was, in pretty much every publication, by far the most frequent criticism the game recieved. So i'm sure they will make sure that multiplayer is of primary importance next time.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a better multiplayer pack, like 'Quake 4: Arena' or something.

Reaction score
don't forget though that quake 3 was very important also because it's engine was used in a million fps's, eg rtcw and medal of honor allied assault etc

and they were pretty major games

oh yeah i got the serious sam 2 demo, played it through on lowest settings and managed pretty appalling fps, so while it seems immensly enjoyable and pointless, and a very worthy sequel, i cant play it :(

Reaction score
Call of Duty 2 is actually based on the Quake 3 engine, also. They just added a few Direct X 9c stuff, some lovely smoke effects, and big fat textures.

Reaction score
Yay and nay - it's apparently rooted in the technology of Quake 3 engine, but they braught it up to date with by adding all the new effects and things you'd expect over the top of it.

Edit: Quite bizarre considering that COD2 is far more system intensive than Half Life 2 and Far Cry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've also come to the conclusion that the main problem with Quake 4 is the lack of any proper music. There is a bit in particular where you reach the top of a massive building, and you have to walk along the rooftop to a switch hub. The deserted view of the planet is incredible, and the distant lights reminded me of Blade Runner.. This is definately a moment in which an engulfing romantic score would have kicked in if this were Half Life or Halo, but by keeping in the tradition of old school Quake and not featuring any atmospheric music, ID have crippled what COULD have been a reasonably emotionally moment. There are lots of times when a fantastic score could have really pushed the story element of the game. For instance, when you finish a particular level and your rescue ship arrives, or when you have to peruse the empty corridors of a seemingly haunted underground area in poor visibility - A timpani drummed Command and Conquer theme of accomplishment, and a Resident Evil style ambient string sounds, would really have boosted those situations. As it is, all you hear is footsteps, doors, and bullets.

After a bit more play, I have to say that this is the prettiest game available at the moment - even better than FEAR and Half Life 2, but its quite surprising that they placed so much effort on cinematic visuals, but used such uninspiring audio.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well unfortunately i cannot comment as my comuter is too rubbish to play it yet :p :(

but on the point of the q3 engine - when q3 came out it is almost FEAR like with its hardware requirements if my memory serves me, which i suppose may mean that when you update it it may still be very intense.

Ask a Question