"PXE-E53: No boot filename received" How can I get a command prompt?

Nick

I recently tried to erase my harddisk with a utility that
wrote zeros to the disk. It appeared to not be
progressing so I cancelled it and now I realize that was
a big mistake. When I tried to restart my computer, it
didn't restart properly(because Windows files were
missing) and it gave me the options to boot from the
harddisk, cdrom/dvd drive, removable devices, or network
boot. I chose network boot (Because my recovery disk is
damaged)and linked it through crossover cable to a
working computer. It recognized my ethernet controller
and listed the other computer's mac address and GUID. A
prompt came up then (DHCP...)And after waiting a bit a
message said:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

It then repeated this over and over. I then rebooted and
chose to boot from the cd drive but the previous network
boot screen came up. Whatever boot i choose, the network
boot sequences always comes up. The computer I am linked
with is Windows XP Home and the computer with the problem
is Windows XP Media Center. Is there any way to get a
command prompt? Any advise? Thanx...

Jody Atkins

I can offer you some information on this:

First of all when you are getting:

| prompt came up then (DHCP...)And after waiting a bit a
| message said:
|
| PXE-E53: No boot filename received
| PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

What the computer's hardware is trying to do is find a DHCP server, out and
about, to give it an IP address, so it can communicate on the network.
This is a feature that has been built into the motherboards to allow the
hardware to kick off remote commands. However, you are not running in a
networked environment because you are running XP Home. XP Home is for a
workgroup thus, unless you have a DHCP server connected to the workgroup,
you wouldn't have a DHCP server.

I suggest that you go to the BIOS of your PC. In the BIOS you have an
option balled BOOT order (or something associated with the boot order). If
you check here and make sure your CD-ROM is set to first and then your
floppy to second and hard drive to third and PXE to last.

Next, boot to your XP Home CD and "Press Any Key.."
When it comes up, choose R for repair using recovery console.

This will give you some functionality to peruse the folders on this hard
drive. IF Recovery Console will not work or you do not see any files the
only step left would be a reinstall the O\S.

I suggest you call or go to the web site of the manufacturer of your PC.
They will have detailed instruction on how to reinstall the Windows XP
Media Center. I say this because they have their media configured to
install a certain way. This is most likely different than a retail copy of
Windows XP Media Center.

Best Regards,
Jody Atkins
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
from your issue.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help.