Purchasing law

Reaction score
Ive looked but cant find anything on the above.

If i remember correctly if an item is bought say via a catalogue and the item is needed to be returned and the owner does not pick that item up after a period of 2 years even after constant attempts by the seller to arrange it the item in current ownership then legally belongs to the person that bought it.

However if the person that bought the item should decide to sell it wihin a period of 5years then all money it was sold for has to be given to the seller.

I cant find anything to verify this anyone help?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure on this myself, and I can't find anything in google - although I know there will be lots of stuff on the net if I could only guess the right keywords.

Is is something relatively expensive?

Reaction score
Its a television set that was supposed to cost £1100 7 years ago

after loads of phone calls and correspondence to them all that time ago and two replacements i told them to come pick it up. They now trying to claim the cost of the set and court and solicitor fees lol

From a legal point of view I own the set

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm not sure on this myself, and I can't find anything in google - although I know there will be lots of stuff on the net if I could only guess the right keywords.

Is is something relatively expensive?

Ian, I think the keyword (or phrase) might possibly be "Torts (Interference With Goods Act 1977) Section 12" ...discovered after even more Googling ;) There is a Factsheet on this Trading Standards website, which sets things out pretty clearly.

Hope it helps Trips good luck :)

Reaction score
Thanks

As far as i'm aware they 'Freemans' Catalogue have withheld information from all collectors and solicitors in the respect of letters sent to themselves and phonecalls made by myself. This was also investigated by the CAB.

They still insist on having the money even after my mpoving home and telling them I would not take the set please come and collect it before I move home. They did not even reply to my letter or even call my landlord (i put cntact number on letter) asking for permission to enter the premises to get the set. My landlord called me and said I have to take it with me. Bunch of tossers. They dont have a leg to stand on as far as im concerned.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's the trouble with some of these large companies, they never seem to answer correspondence from individuals. Years ago, when I had a problem with a catalogue purchase, I can remember getting so annoyed at being ignored, that I wrote to the company director - which worked! But clearly, they are leading you quite a dance despite the fact that you have given them ample opportunity to collect the TV.

Have you ever given your local Trading Standards office a try? Sometimes they're able to cut through the doo-doo and get a result. (Although the CAB probably would have suggested that if they thought it would help.)

Reaction score
The only reason they have tried to claim the money is because i got in touch about a commision cheque from 2002 they said they would honour the cheque and kept me waiting then I get a letter from a debt collector. Bunch of .........

Ask a Question