Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,281
Reaction score
1,794
All good advice.

Like I keep saying, there is no free lunch.

Cheap price? Consider the small print, downtime, length of contract, bandwidth restriction et al.

Zen = 20Gb a month bandwidth; up to 8Mb download speeds; one month contract; first rate customer support; basically, they're serious and not full of sh*te like Orange, Tiscali and the rest.

And that is £25.00 a month.

What you want? A good ISP or to pay £10.00 a month?

Your choice.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Moderator
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
13,572
Reaction score
1,888
Both Chris and Flops speak the truth. :)

PSD said:
At the moment i pay £30 a month for 1mb, the mission is to find me a supplier 1mb unlimited downloads for less than £30 so far looks like mission impossible
PSD, Do you really need totaly unlimited downloads? Do you really download all day everyday?
Am i the only one that feels your not reading other peoples posts?

This is the last time i'll post in this thread, as i am getting bored of it....

Nildram offers -

DSL Surf - £22.99

Up to 2Mb Download, up to 256Kb Upload
FREE - 500 minutes home phone calls*
FREE setup if switching from another ISP**
FREE e-mail anti-virus & anti-spam (40MB storage)
0845 backup dial-up access within the UK
50GB fair use quota at peak times.
Unlimited off peak - Off peak is midnight to 8am
'Callback' support, no need to queue
Web mail (24/7 access to your mail)
1 POP3/IMAP mailbox
Newsgroup access***
Regrade from another Nildram service - £12.93

The above package is what i am on. But i am in the process of being regraded to the broadband2 package which is ADSL Max, due to be completed on the 2nd Nov.

Broadband 2 - £25.99

Up to 8Mb Download, up to 448Kb Upload
FREE - 500 minutes home phone calls*
FREE setup if switching from another ISP**
FREE e-mail anti-virus & anti-spam (100MB storage)
0845 backup dial-up access within the UK
50GB fair use quota unlimited off peak.
Unlimited off peak - Off peak is midnight to 8am
Callback' support, no need to queue
100MB of non-commercial web space
Web mail (24/7 access to your mail)
5 POP3/IMAP mailboxes
Newsgroup access***
Regrade from another Nildram service - £12.93

Nildram do have a 50GB usage limit BUT not during Midnight to 8AM, download stuff over night if you dont want it to count towards your limit.

You pay your money you take your choice. The balls in your court now PSD.

Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
5,788
Reaction score
4
thanks for all your help everyone
cheers for that vr

i like the look of Nildram and i liked the look of Zen too

prehaps i should ring up my isp and ask them how much i download
sometimes it is a lot.
other times it is not.

ill have to sit down and evaluate my options

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Moderator
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
13,572
Reaction score
1,888
PSD, have a look at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

You put your phone number into the availability checker (in the left hand menu), and it'll tell you what services are available in your area. (EG cable ADSL Max and wireless.) This will give you an idea of what speeds etc you should get. :thumb: If you haven't done so already that is...

Another thing i like about Nildram is that you can just log into the 'my controls' section of their website and see your usage for the month Both on and off peak. as well as check out any orders/regrades, change your billing info or regrade to a new service and so much more.

They also have a call back system so if you have to wait in the telephone queue for more than 5 minutes they give you the option to set the 'ring back' service. meaning when your space in the queue gets to a cs agent you get a phone call. But i never had to wait that long, on the one call i made. :)

Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
5,788
Reaction score
4
I am now with Sky Broadband

So far so very good
can't complain.

£5 a month how many other ISP's can offer this value for money?

Speed is just below of 2mb, it can go up to a maximum of 8mb should some lazy idiots sort out the wiring at my exchange.
Upload is around 500kbs

if u think that I was paying £30 a month for 1mb download and 256k upload
this is a real bargain

the send out a dg834 router for free it is brilliant netgear at its best 108mps one too.
only drawback would be U HAVE TO use this router any other one will NOT work
but because it is so good, I am not so bothered

SKY is the way forward in my opinon

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Moderator
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
13,572
Reaction score
1,888
Yep, A friend of mine uses SKY BB, seems good, The Netgear DG834GT is a nice router, just a shame you have to give it back when you leave.....

I am tempted to go with them too, but i dont want to be locked into another 12 month contract, and they have had some problems (just read the sky bb section over at Thinkbroadband) ...But if you already have SKY TV you cant say its not a bargain.

PSD, you should check out Skyuser.co.uk - its a good place to go for info on the service etc. :)

Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
5,788
Reaction score
4
V_R said:
Yep, A friend of mine uses SKY BB, seems good, The Netgear DG834GT is a nice router, just a shame you have to give it back when you leave.....

I am tempted to go with them too, but i dont want to be locked into another 12 month contract, and they have had some problems (just read the sky bb section over at Thinkbroadband) ...But if you already have SKY TV you cant say its not a bargain.

PSD, you should check out Skyuser.co.uk - its a good place to go for info on the service etc. :)

Hi thanks for the link

i do agree with you but i want to add that

if a customer is already a member of sky tv and does not have broadband at home, the only company that they should consider in this situation imo is SKY bband, because they are the cheapest.

I think it is the best deal ONLY if u are a sky tv member,
i dont know the stats but i presume a lot of households have sky tv.

but for those that DO NOT have sky tv, i dont think it would be a good deal, unless u really want to have sky tv

o and shame abt the router i really like it
dont wanta give it back