problems with some old pc games in xp

Reaction score
Hi! I'm sorry, if someone has already written about this. I have problem with sobe old pc games, bat it's not about ERROR messages, or something like that. So these my games are working, bar not as they should!

It works just fine, until at one moment it blocks, and then I have to wait for some time. After that, it continues with no problems, until it happens again. So I can play those games, but this thing happens during the game.

I'm talking about games such as Stongold Crusader... It also happens in Zeus: Master of Olympus, and other similar games...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Those games were not designed to run in XP.

You can right click on the games' exe files and change the compatibility mode to Win 98, that might work or run a simulator/Virtual OS Proggie, such as DOS-Box, to play them.

Reaction score
I have already tried changin' compatibility mode...

When I read your post, I instaled DOSBox, but I have problems using it. :( I don't how to run the game. Can you help me, pls? :)

The game is instaled in folder:

C:\Program Files\Firefly Studios\Stronghold Crusader

or if I need the file, it's:

C:\Program Files\Firefly Studios\Stronghold Crusader\Stronghold Crusader.exe

I'm runing Windows XP...

I hope this is enough information, for you to tell me how to run the game..? I tried something, I found in internet, but I think, wasn't doing it right... :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry, although I'm aware of DOS-Box I've never used it.

I run my old games on a swappable hard disk running Win 98. Any games before that I don't bother with.

Reaction score
OK. Thanks you for helpin, I hope it will be usefull for me... I think I will make up something about DOS-Box!:)

Reaction score
Me, again... :)

I was searchin' again, and I tought I just did it, but I was wrong... :(

It always anwers: ILLEGAL COMMAND: STRGONGHOLD_CRUSADER.EXE

Then I was, reading in some other places, and this is what I found:

"Well, you are probably using an illegally downloaded copy of the game.
Experience tells me, that your problem is not caused by a problem with DOSBox, but with how the copy was made.
..."

So I guess, DOS-Box couldn't be usefull in my case...:cry:

Have you any other sugestion, please..? I'm sorry, I guess I'm borin' you... :(

Ask a Question