Problems with installing AVG Free Edition

Reaction score
I seem to be having a few probs with the computer recently!

I have AVG Free Edition and it decided that the email scanner wasn't functioning properly this morning. Messed about with it and decided to uninstall it and then reinstall the latest edition off the Grisoft website.

Unfortunately I have made a big mistake as I now have no virus protection at all. I have tried reinstalling AVG about 4 times now and I keep getting the same error message:

Local machine: installation failed

Installation:

Error: Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: starting service....

Access is denied. (5)

Does anyone know what this could mean?

Thanks

Reaction score
Maybe it aint been uninstalled properly and something is trying to write over a running Process?

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Maybe it aint been uninstalled properly and something is trying to write over a running Process?

You could be right.

I have just installed Antivir without any problem.

Think I will be more careful next time I decide to uninstall something.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No the free one doesnt, but i use my common sense and scan attachments before opening.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Unhappy said:
Does Antivir scan emails?
err, yes it does.

Sorry V_R but Antivir does scan emails ... I admit, however, the MailGuard component of AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium intercepts only incoming POP3 (non SSL/TLS) traffic, on port 110. Note that port 110 is the default port for non encrypted POP3 traffic. Therefore it doesn’t intercept encrypted traffic and/or traffic sent on other ports, like for instance Emails received on a Gmail POP3s account. It will scan them on access though.

You get what you pay for. ;)

Ask a Question