Problems with Home Network

Alex Cowley

I have a small network at home.

Three PCs configured as follows:

A: WinXP Home SP2 via Ethernet
B: WinXP Home SP2 via 802.11b
C: Win98SE via 802.11b

I use a Netgear MR314 wireless router.

I am having problems with "B" post SP2 upgrade. When "B" is first turned
on, it connects to the network and the Internet. However, after a period
(which is usually just a few minutes) it no longer connects to either the
network or the Internet.

When the PC fails to connect:

1. I am unable to PING 192.168.0.1
2. Net View responds with "System error 6118 has occurred"

When I connect "B" via Ethernet, there are no such problems.

When I switch the identical wireless cards (D-Link DWL-650) between "B" &
"C", both "B" and "C" continue to work as described above, i.e., it's not
the wireless card.

I have used Device Manager to confirm my drivers are up to date.

I have called the SP2 helpline a couple of times, but this hasn't helped.

Hans-Georg Michna

I am having problems with "B" post SP2 upgrade. When "B" is first turned
on, it connects to the network and the Internet. However, after a period
(which is usually just a few minutes) it no longer connects to either the
network or the Internet.

When the PC fails to connect:

1. I am unable to PING 192.168.0.1
2. Net View responds with "System error 6118 has occurred"

When I connect "B" via Ethernet, there are no such problems.

Alex,

a few ideas.

For one, check
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm#Lose_access_to_shares_and_printers_after_3_minutes.

For another, check whether you have any third party
configuration software installed for the wireless adapters. This
is known to cause such problems in some situations.

Finally, check http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm and look for
anything that looks like it could be the cause.

Hans-Georg

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your posting here.

Do you have any wireless configuration software installed on the Windows
XP? If so, please uninstall it an try again.

In addition, I would like recommend that you refer to the following
document to troubleshoot this issue.

Troubleshooting Windows XP IEEE 802.11 Wireless Access
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifitrbl.mspx

More references:

Windows XP Wireless Deployment Technology and Component Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wificomp.mspx

Configuring Windows XP IEEE 802.11 Wireless Networks for the Home and Small
Business
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx

Have a nice day!

Regards,