Problems-Missing desktop, Add/remove programs icon not working, Cant get to IE properties or interne

G

I have 3 problems on my computer. I am running XP home
1) When I reboot my desktop icons disappear. If I right click on the desktop it does nothing. I have to go in under task mgr and stop running explorer and start explorer again.
2) My add/remove programs icon takes me nowhere. I click it, it acts like it is going, and then stops
3) My internet options icon takes me nowhere. Same as above. Also, right clicking on IE icon shows properties option, but goes nowhere.

The disappearing icons started after installed updates.

G

Sounds like major problems. Are you able to use system restore to before the updates? If not, i dunno maybe reinstalling windows?? You should wait to see if anyone else knows more about this.

R

roger

Hi serodgers,

I have 3 problems on my computer. I am running XP home.
1) When I reboot my desktop icons disappear. If I right click on the desktop it does nothing. I have to go in under task mgr and stop running explorer and start explorer again.
2) My add/remove programs icon takes me nowhere. I click it, it acts like it is going, and then stops.
3) My internet options icon takes me nowhere. Same as above. Also, right clicking on IE icon shows properties option, but goes nowhere.

The disappearing icons started after installed updates.

Try booting in safe mode (pressing F8 repeatedly as the boot begins),
then going to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Options tab
and checking 'disable third-party browser extensions.'

Reboot and see if the icons appear. If the problem is solved, this
might mean you had spyware, and a scan using ad-aware and spybot would
be good.

Good luck

G

Roger
Thanks for the help!
Disable third party extensions solved all problems.
Have/use ad-aware

----- roger wrote: ----

Hi serodgers

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:51:07 -0700, serodgers <[email protected]
wrote
I have 3 problems on my computer. I am running XP home
2) My add/remove programs icon takes me nowhere. I click it, it acts like it is going, and then stops

Try booting in safe mode (pressing F8 repeatedly as the boot begins)
then going to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Options ta
and checking 'disable third-party browser extensions.

Reboot and see if the icons appear. If the problem is solved, thi
might mean you had spyware, and a scan using ad-aware and spybot woul
be good

Good luc

Ask a Question