Problems installing modems on COM ports in win2003

Yuri Palagin

Hello,

I had a w2k server with RRAS and 4 USR Courier V.Everything modems on COM
ports. Everything worked fine until I upgraded it to w2k3 server (not really
upgraded because I installed a fresh w2k3).

I don't know what changes have been made to Plug-n-Play system in win2003,
but now it does not find the same modems connected to COM ports. No matter
COM1 or 2 or extension multiport card COM ports.
Well, I try to install new hardware "from the list", but it does not give me
the list of manufacturers and models like w2k did. Gives only "signed"
drivers...
So I go to "Unsigned driver installation behavior" policy in Security Policy
and set it to "Silently succeed" - to no effect... I mean the list of
manufacturers does not show up... Though I'm sure there are 169 mdm*.inf
files in %windir%\inf folder, including mdmusrcr.inf for usr couriers... :(
Well, I use "Have disk" option and point to the driver files that I'm sure
worked fine with w2k. The modems don't work right...
I try the STFW option, but find no usr courier v.everything modem drivers
exactly for w2k3...

So I roll back to w2k, and each modem is found and everything is fine
without much effort from me...

So, my main question is, what should I do with the same equipment next time
I try w2k3 ?

Thanks for any ideas.

ypal

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Yuri,

I checked the USR web site and did not see any drivers for the USR Courier V.Everything
modems. You will need to contact them for support for those modems in 2003.

Thanks,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Yuri Palagin" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Problems installing modems on COM ports in win2003
'--'Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:07:35 +0400
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Hello,
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.