problems activating burnt copy

messiahandrw

My cousin burnt me a copy of Windows XP and it all installed fine. It
should be all legal because I paid $20 for it. It was all working fine
until my virus scanner told me to install Service Pack 2. I went onto
the Microsoft's website and download Service Pack 2. I only have
dial-up and 150MB a month to download. My ISP charges 15c per MB when I
download more. After it downloaded I went to install it but it told me
I had to activate. I chose to activate by Internet but they said my
copy was not legal, but I paid for it like I said. I would activate by
phone instead, but I can't because I only have 1 phone line. Can I
organise for someone to come to my house to activate it for me? I will
pay for someone to do it but I only have $30 of pocket money left until
next month.

Mark Ritchie

This made me laugh in my coffee!

Mark Ritchie

**************************************
Computer Problems Dragging you Down?
Let us Fix it for you quickly and remotely!
http://www.livetechsupport.ca
(866)730-5403
**************************************

messiahandrw

Mark said:
This made me laugh in my coffee!

I'm glad I made your day, but that hasn't fixed my problem. Now I have
a little yellow box telling me I have 25 days to activate. I'm panicing
and running out of time and ideas. But thanks for your reply anyway.

Bruce Chambers

My cousin burnt me a copy of Windows XP and it all installed fine. It
should be all legal because I paid $20 for it.

It doesn't matter how much you pay for an illegal copy; it remains
illegitimate.

It was all working fine
until my virus scanner told me to install Service Pack 2. I went onto
the Microsoft's website and download Service Pack 2. I only have
dial-up and 150MB a month to download. My ISP charges 15c per MB when I
download more. After it downloaded I went to install it but it told me
I had to activate. I chose to activate by Internet but they said my
copy was not legal, but I paid for it like I said. I would activate by
phone instead, but I can't because I only have 1 phone line. Can I
organise for someone to come to my house to activate it for me? I will
pay for someone to do it but I only have $30 of pocket money left until
next month.

Go buy yourself a legitimate copy of the OS, and it will most likely
come with SP2 already installed, and it will alos activate via the
Internet without a problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

thecreator

Hello,

You got taken by your cousin. When you Cousin burned a Copy of Windows
XP, from his installation?, the copy contained his Product Key. You need to
get your money back or get the Police involve to get your money back.

Next buy a legit Windows XP copy, where you probably need a Full Version
instead of an Upgrade CD, unless you have a previous Microsoft operating
system CD.

Whenever you try to cut corners, you lose.

Ken Blake, MVP

My cousin burnt me a copy of Windows XP and it all installed fine. It
should be all legal because I paid $20 for it.

My cousin stole a car for me. It should be all legal because I paid $20 for
it.

Kerry Brown

My cousin burnt me a copy of Windows XP and it all installed fine. It
should be all legal because I paid $20 for it. It was all working fine
until my virus scanner told me to install Service Pack 2. I went onto
the Microsoft's website and download Service Pack 2. I only have
dial-up and 150MB a month to download. My ISP charges 15c per MB when
I download more. After it downloaded I went to install it but it told
me I had to activate. I chose to activate by Internet but they said my
copy was not legal, but I paid for it like I said. I would activate by
phone instead, but I can't because I only have 1 phone line. Can I
organise for someone to come to my house to activate it for me? I will
pay for someone to do it but I only have $30 of pocket money left
until next month.

I'm hungry and poor and stole a loaf of bread to feed my hungry kids now
they want to put me in jail can someone help me?

Nice try but it's not subtle enough. Trolling is an art form. Not many do it
right.

Shenan Stanley

messiahandrw said:
My cousin burnt me a copy of Windows XP and it all installed fine.
It should be all legal because I paid $20 for it. It was all
working fine until my virus scanner told me to install Service Pack
2. I went onto the Microsoft's website and download Service Pack 2.
I only have dial-up and 150MB a month to download. My ISP charges
15c per MB when I download more. After it downloaded I went to
install it but it told me I had to activate. I chose to activate by
Internet but they said my copy was not legal, but I paid for it
like I said. I would activate by phone instead, but I can't because
I only have 1 phone line. Can I organise for someone to come to my
house to activate it for me? I will pay for someone to do it but I
only have $30 of pocket money left until next month.

I'm not really adding any new information here - but I have to agree with
those who "laughed in their coffee" and "ROTFLMAO".

Here's the situation.
Your "cousin" took you for $20.
Your copy of Windows XP is *not* legitimate.
Your copy of Windows XP *will not* work.

Paying your "cousin" doesn't make it legal. If it somehow does - I need to
talk to your cousin - because there are some massive crimes that could be
going down that are not - and they would all end up being legal because I
paid your cousin to help!

Paying a _legitimate_ Windows XP dealer for a _legitimate_ license would
make it legal and it *will be* more than $20.

As for your situation with the download - that does suck. You can order the
CD with Windows XP SP2 already on it - for a shipping fee - but at 15 cents
per MB after 150MB/month - I think you come out ahead. You also may want to
find a friend willing to download the 70+ post-sp2 updates and burn them to
CD for you - but don't go to your cousin, they'll scam you again.

I'm sorry you got taken. I suggest you go beat the hell out of your cousin,
get your $20 back, save up another $40 or so and buy a legitimate Windows XP
OEM CD - with SP2 slipstreamed on it. Install this on your computer and
turn off your automatic updates so you don't get charged for the 100+MB it
will still download even with SP2 integrated on the CD. Get a friend to
download them for you or see if you cannot find a better Internet Service
Provider. Heck - a $10/month dial-up would be better than that. =)

Jaibaba Bholanath

Suggestions from Bholanath below:

1. Switch to LINUX. It's almost free and is the future of computers.
Young people like you should experiment with LINUX and develop it
vigorously.

2. Windows XP is going to become obsolete soon. Don't invest in it-
that's my suggestion. You don't seem to have much money to invest, so
forget it for the present.

3. If you still want to keep Windows XP, I suggest you get a legal
copy. I know you will tell me that Microsoft is fighting court cases
for illegal business practices, but I must warn you that you as a young
man should be upright and just. Microsoft is the owner of the Windows
XP system, so you need to pay through your nose to use it.

Jaibaba

Minto

The Bholanath says:

Stop inciting people to violence! That too for mere $20. That's
illegal, for sure. Are you by chance a member of the NY mafia?

Other suggestions are good.

Jaibaba

messiahandrw

Jaibaba said:
Suggestions from Bholanath below:

1. Switch to LINUX. It's almost free and is the future of computers.
Young people like you should experiment with LINUX and develop it
vigorously.

What is LINUX? If it is free then why is everyone paying for Windows?
How can I get it?

messiahandrw

Jaibaba said:
Suggestions from Bholanath below:

1. Switch to LINUX. It's almost free and is the future of computers.
Young people like you should experiment with LINUX and develop it
vigorously.

What is LINUX? If it is free then why is everyone paying for Windows?
How can I get it?

Shenan Stanley

What is LINUX? If it is free then why is everyone paying for
Windows? How can I get it?

If you were taken by your cousin, you won't be able to utilize Linux.

messiahandrw

It's now down to 21 days and still counting. System Restore did not
appear to do much except uninstall a few programs I had to redownload.

Kerry Brown

It's now down to 21 days and still counting. System Restore did not
appear to do much except uninstall a few programs I had to redownload.

On the off chance that you are not a troll I'll reiterate what others have
told you. You have a pirated copy of XP. You will not be able to activate
it. Purchase a legitimate copy and install it.

messiahandrw

Where do I buy a real copy of Windows XP? I only have $40 left, so I
hope that is enough. If I can't afford it, what am I suppose to do
after 17 days?

Shenan Stanley

messiahandrw said:
My cousin burnt me a copy of Windows XP and it all installed fine.
It should be all legal because I paid $20 for it. It was all
working fine until my virus scanner told me to install Service Pack
2. I went onto the Microsoft's website and download Service Pack 2.
I only have dial-up and 150MB a month to download. My ISP charges
15c per MB when I download more. After it downloaded I went to
install it but it told me I had to activate. I chose to activate by
Internet but they said my copy was not legal, but I paid for it
like I said. I would activate by phone instead, but I can't because
I only have 1 phone line. Can I organize for someone to come to my

Kerry said:
On the off chance that you are not a troll I'll reiterate what
others have told you. You have a pirated copy of XP. You will not
be able to activate it. Purchase a legitimate copy and install it.
Where do I buy a real copy of Windows XP? I only have $40 left, so I
hope that is enough. If I can't afford it, what am I suppose to do
after 17 days?

$40 is not enough for a retail or even an OEM copy. You might find it from
an individual for this much - but with your luck - I would not bother with
that. In 17 days - your Windows XP will cease to work/you will be unable to
utilize it.

Before this time I suggest you copy whatever you can (whatever you would
like to keep) off of the system.
Pictures, emails, contacts, favorites(bookmarks), documents, spreadsheets,
etc...

In 17 days - in as far as the current installation of Windows and your use
of it - things grind to a halt.
As the other poster suggested - sure - you could use Linux. It has many
free "flavors" out there. It is not as simple as Windows to utilize,
however; and seeing as you do not seem to be extremely computer literate -
the learning curve is high. You are welcome to try. Start here:
http://www.linux.org/

As people here have said - if you are not a troll (meaning you are making
this crap up, acting this way just to solicit responses to see how people
will respond, etc..) it is too bad your cousin took advantage of your lack
of knowledge and took your money and gave you nothing for it and that you
are unwilling to do anything about it (obviously.) There is nothing that
can be done legitimately to help you here in this newsgroup. As you
probably did not get a written receipt - there is probably nothing any law
enforcement could do for you either. What you have here is a life-lesson.
Learn it and use it. Next time - research what you are buying first. If it
sounds too good to be true - it usually is. Never hand over money without a
receipt/contract and some sort of money-back guarantee/warranty. Doesn't
matter what it is for - all of that should be true. And in your case -
never trust your cousin again.

Your current situation is this. You have $40. If you are not a
student/your school doesn't offer some academic version of Windows XP - that
is not enough money. You should save up and buy from someone reliable.
Your cheapest Windows XP route is an OEM copy of Windows XP Home edition.
It does mean - when you get it - performing a clean install on your system -
but in your current situation - that is recommended anyway. Example of a
reliable place:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116056&ATT=32-116-056&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch
So you need about $100.

Once you save up/purchase and receive your copy of Windows XP, you can more
than likely get away with using free software for all of your other needs.

AntiVirus (Choose one):
AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://free.grisoft.com/

Office Suite (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Presentations):
OpenOffice
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html

AntiSpyware (Use them all - the free versions):
Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm#IESPYAD
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

Windows XP comes with Internet Explorer and Outlook Express - so you will
have an Internet Browser and an email/news reader. However - you have many
alternatives there as well.

Internet Browsers:
Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Opera
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Email:
Thunderbird
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

Newsgroups:
XNews
http://xnews.newsguy.com/#download

Free Agent
http://cws.internet.com/file/11614.htm

Just about anything you want to do on a computer can be done for free except
getting decent hardware - and you might be able to get that as a gift. heh
The catch to that is... Your free versions may not either be as good
(although sometimes they are better) or they may not be 100% compatible (in
other words - things you create with them, others may not be able to view
and/or vice-versa) and if you are not computer literate - the learning curve
is sometimes steeper than you may be able to handle.

Good luck. My previous advice stands - at least you should tell your entire
family how your cousin took your money and gave you something illegitimate
in return. Otherwise - nice - your cousin now knows they can get away with
stiff like this.

messiahandrw

I asked my cousin about Linux. He won't give me my $20 back, but he
sold me a copy of Redhat Linux for $40. He helped me to install it and
set up all my programs for me, and it seems to be a lot faster than
when I was using Windows XP. I think Linux is worth the $40, and
Windows XP is not because it expires. Who would want to pay $20 every
month to keep renewing it?