Problems Accessing Shared Folders

Apologies if this question has already been answered elsewhere, or indeed if this is the wrong forum, but i've been reading posts for a long time now and come up blank

I am networking two PCs, one running Win2KPro and one WinXPPro, and simply want to use the two for ICS and file sharing. However I cant even seem to get file sharing working at the moment let alone ICS, I know the problem is trivial but so is my understanding of Window's networking process, hence the problem

The 2k and XP boxes are set-up using 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively and on a mask of 255.255.255.0. They both have netBEUI installed, and its active, along with TCP/IP and all the rest. The XP box has one login, an admin account, and the 2K has two, one admin, one user

From both machines, I can Ping the other using IP and MachineName, I can also access shared folders on the XP machine from the 2K one using \\MachineName from the run box. However, neither machine can see either in the 'My Network Places\Entire Network....\etc' folder, also, and this is the bit I feel I least understand, the WinXP machine asks for a username and password when attempting to access shared folders on the the 2K machine. Is there anyway of preventing this? and why is the 'my network places' not working??

Any help will be much appreciate

cheer

Simon

Clark Satter [MSFT]

Simon,
There are a couple of things that need to be done. First, since these systems are most likely in a workgroup you will want to creat the same non-
administrator user account with the same password on both systems, then you will want to check the network adapter configuration under Properties for
TCP/IP then Advanced then the WINS tab and insure that Enable NetBIOS over tcp/ip is checked. I am also including a link to a KB article you might find
helpful.

318030 You Cannot Access Shared Files and Folders or Browse Computers in the
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318030

Regards,
Clark Satter
MCSA MCSE A+
Microsoft Networking Support

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.
--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?U2ltb24gVXR0aW5n?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Problems Accessing Shared Folders
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:46:08 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking

Apologies if this question has already been answered elsewhere, or indeed if this is the wrong forum, but i've been reading posts for a long time now and
come up blank

I am networking two PCs, one running Win2KPro and one WinXPPro, and simply want to use the two for ICS and file sharing. However I cant even seem to
get file sharing working at the moment let alone ICS, I know the problem is trivial but so is my understanding of Window's networking process, hence the
problem

The 2k and XP boxes are set-up using 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively and on a mask of 255.255.255.0. They both have netBEUI installed, and its
active, along with TCP/IP and all the rest. The XP box has one login, an admin account, and the 2K has two, one admin, one user

From both machines, I can Ping the other using IP and MachineName, I can also access shared folders on the XP machine from the 2K one using
\\MachineName from the run box. However, neither machine can see either in the 'My Network Places\Entire Network....\etc' folder, also, and this is the bit I
feel I least understand, the WinXP machine asks for a username and password when attempting to access shared folders on the the 2K machine. Is there
anyway of preventing this? and why is the 'my network places' not working??