Problem with Win XP and Win 2000 workstations and Remote Access

I am trying to use the Remote Desktop Connection on a
WinXPPro laptop to connect to a Win2000Pro desktop (I
already installed the Remote Desktop Connection software
for Win2K from Microsoft). When I try to connect to the
Win2K machine from the XPPro machine using either FQDN or
IP address, I get this error:

"The client could not connect to the remote computer.

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer
might be too busy to accept new connections. . . ."

Interestingly, I CAN connect from the Win2K machine to my
WinXP machine just fine using the Remote Desktop
Connection. Any thoughts would be welcome (I've tried
the suggestions in the main postings already).

Thanks.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Subject: Problem with Win XP and Win 2000 workstations and Remote Access
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:49:31 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients

I am trying to use the Remote Desktop Connection on a
WinXPPro laptop to connect to a Win2000Pro desktop (I
already installed the Remote Desktop Connection software
for Win2K from Microsoft). When I try to connect to the
Win2K machine from the XPPro machine using either FQDN or
IP address, I get this error:

"The client could not connect to the remote computer.

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer
might be too busy to accept new connections. . . ."

Interestingly, I CAN connect from the Win2K machine to my
WinXP machine just fine using the Remote Desktop
Connection. Any thoughts would be welcome (I've tried
the suggestions in the main postings already).

Thanks.
-----

Windows 2000 Professional does not have the functionality to be a host for terminal/remote desktop session. The software
you installed allows it to be a client only. Windows XP has the functionality to be a host built into it, which is why it works
when the 2000 system connects to the XP system. The other Windows OS that can host a session by default are Windows
NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition, Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate the answer and now I don't
have to spend the time pursuing this!
functionality to be a host for terminal/remote desktop
session. The software
you installed allows it to be a client only. Windows XP
has the functionality to be a host built into it, which
is why it works
when the 2000 system connects to the XP system. The
other Windows OS that can host a session by default are
Windows
NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition, Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

confers no rights. Use of included script samples are
subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all
newsgroup/thread

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:08:50 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate the answer and now I don't
have to spend the time pursuing this!
-----

You're welcome. You could still use something like Netmeeting, PCAnyWhere, Dameware or any of the other remote
control programs to remote into the Windows 2000 Professional system.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

AJ

Hi Bill,

I'm seeing the same error described here but I AM
connecting to a Windows 2000 Server with Terminal
services enabled (I can connect to it from other Win2000
Servers just not from my Win XP Pro Laptop). I'm using
the built in Remote Desktop Connection on my laptop. I
looked at Q323597 - "Windows XP Clients Cannot Connect to
a Windows 2000 Terminal Services Server", but I'm
hesitant to change the registry settings on the server.
Any suggestions?

AJ