problem with Temp Internet Folder/View Source

R

Ripley

For some reason the folders in my Temporary Internet Files folder are no longer viewable/accessabile. I have all folder options set to show hidden folders and file types as well as system folders. It used to be that the Content.IE5 folder and all subfolders were visible. Nor can I see the folders via View/Explorer BAr/Folders from the folder menu. Chossing Properties of the Temp Internet Files folder indicates that there are 2 folders with 54 MBs of stuff, but the only thing visable are several cookie files. I am logged in as Administrator

I became aware of this problem when noting that choosing View Source (either by right clicking or from the Menu Bar) in a web page no longer does anything (this too used to work). I researched this problem and applied all the fixes but with no improvement. Both the TEMP and TMP enviornmental variables are set to C:\Documents and Settings\me (the administrator)\Local Settings\Temp; I deleted all the Temp Internet Files and rebooted; notepad is chosen as the HTML editor in Internet Options; and there is no shortcut named notepad on the desktop; notepad exists in the Windows folder.

Another symptom:

When I save a web page to favorites no custom icons appear in the right side Favorites window; even with sites, such as Yahoo and Google, that have such icons.

Even if I choose Never (reload page) in Intrenet Explorer Tools/Internet Options/Settings, pages still take a long time to display when hitting the Back button

My system is WXP SP1 asd IE6 all latest upgrades.

Any ideas about what's wrong.

R

Ripley

-----Original Message-----
For some reason the folders in my Temporary Internet Files folder are no longer viewable/accessabile. I have all folder options set to show hidden folders and file types as well as system folders. It used to be that the Content.IE5 folder and all subfolders were visible. Nor can I see the folders via View/Explorer BAr/Folders from the folder menu. Chossing Properties of the Temp Internet Files folder indicates that there are 2 folders with 54 MBs of stuff, but the only thing visable are several cookie files. I am logged in as Administrator

I became aware of this problem when noting that choosing View Source (either by right clicking or from the Menu Bar) in a web page no longer does anything (this too used to work). I researched this problem and applied all the fixes but with no improvement. Both the TEMP and TMP enviornmental variables are set to C:\Documents and Settings\me (the administrator)\Local Settings\Temp; I deleted all the Temp Internet Files and rebooted; notepad is chosen as the HTML editor in Internet Options; and there is no shortcut named notepad on the desktop; notepad exists in the Windows folder.

Another symptom:

When I save a web page to favorites no custom icons appear in the right side Favorites window; even with sites, such as Yahoo and Google, that have such icons.

Even if I choose Never (reload page) in Intrenet Explorer Tools/Internet Options/Settings, pages still take a long time to display when hitting the Back button

My system is WXP SP1 asd IE6 all latest upgrades.

Any ideas about what's wrong.

R

Ripley

Sorry about the double post. Obviously this does not even belong in the W2K section - I must seem a real idiot; well we all have bad days.

Ask a Question