Problem with static IP address.. Please help

Hi all

My problem is that I configured my PC to have a static address. But after rebooting the PC, the PC kicks out the static IP address and get a dynamic IP address from the DHCP server. Also, the option in TCP/IP Properties changed back to obtain an IP address automatically. Do u expect the problem is related to a registry entry or something like that. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thank

Mido

Hi

What kind of setup do you have on your network

Is it a router you have dealing IP address's or do you have an actual server running the DHCP service

Let us know so we can help you configure your system for static ip again

It shouldn't throw your static IP out really, but what you should be doing really is the following

Go to your client (the one loosing the IP) and go to the dos prompt. Type at the prompt

ipconfig /al

This should bring up your adaptor details. One of these details is listed like this: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-x
(where the x's are letters and numbers). This is the fixed ID for your network card. What you should do is use this and the fixed ip address you want in the DHCP server. Make a reservation for the IP address you want and where you enter the MAC address, enter the ID as listed in ipconfig /all (xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx - again where the x's are letters and numbers)

This will mean each time the DHCP server see's your computer booting with this MAC/Network Card ID it assigns the card the IP address you requested. Leave the actual PC on Obtain Automatically and let the DHCP do the work

Regard

Chris White.

Sergio Moreno

Does the PC lose its static IP address if you connect it to a hub by itself?
If it does then you way want to uninstall and reinstall the TCP/IP stack in case is corrupted.
If it does not, then the problem may be related to the DHCP server configuration (i.e. you may have an IP reservation for your PC)
From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWlkbw==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: Problem with static IP address.. Please help
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 06:46:03 -0700

Hi all

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.