problem with setting a homepage for Explorer 6.0

G

As of 2 days ago I have a very annoying problem that started. Everytime I startup my computer and launch Explorer the page http://www.hugesearch.net/ comes up as my homepage. I don't know where it came from and I don't want. I have been using this computer with Google.com as my homepage since May of 2003 and it has worked fine up till now. Everytime I go into the "tools" and "internet options" section and then try to change my homepage to google.com and then click apply and close the window it works when I click the homepage button in explorer. But as soon as I restart my computer and open explorer that hugesearch page comes up. I have completely deleted all my cookies, history, temporary internet files and any other programs in my programs folder in the C: drive (after uninstalling it first) that seem suspicious; basically anything I did not install. I don't understand what it going on here unless some page I came across made my computer download some file or soemthing. I have dealt with a lot of pop-ups and other windows coming up for sites that want me to download some files but this problem I have now makes those look like a joke. It's like I have no control. I knew Windows sucks but I never knew it was that bad. Help!

J

Joseph Meehan

You have been hijacked. Do a good virus scan after updating your virus
software.

I have Spybot and it does a feature to correct just such situations. I
have read, but don't remember other solutions.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

As of 2 days ago I have a very annoying problem that started. Everytime I
startup my computer and launch Explorer the page http://www.hugesearch.net/
comes up as my homepage. I don't know where it came from and I don't want.
I have been using this computer with Google.com as my homepage since May of
2003 and it has worked fine up till now. Everytime I go into the "tools"
and "internet options" section and then try to change my homepage to
google.com and then click apply and close the window it works when I click
the homepage button in explorer. But as soon as I restart my computer and
open explorer that hugesearch page comes up. I have completely deleted all
my cookies, history, temporary internet files and any other programs in my
programs folder in the C: drive (after uninstalling it first) that seem
suspicious; basically anything I did not install. I don't understand what
it going on here unless some page I came across made my computer download
some file or soemthing. I have dealt with a lot of pop-ups and other
windows coming up for sites that want me to download some files but this
problem I have now makes those look like a joke. It's like I have no
control. I knew Windows sucks but I never knew it was that bad. Help!

G

There is a clear difference between Windows sucks and user error and this is a case of user error. Why Blame Windows for your inability to protect yourself while online? Having updated virus protection running, active firewalls and occasionally running Spyware detection programs would have avoided this in the first place. Perhaps Microsoft's next operating system should come with your own Tech Support Representative who can hold your hand while online. Do us all a favor and lock the computer up and cancel the ISP.

----- Jeff from Burnsville, MN wrote: -----

As of 2 days ago I have a very annoying problem that started. Everytime I startup my computer and launch Explorer the page http://www.hugesearch.net/ comes up as my homepage. I don't know where it came from and I don't want. I have been using this computer with Google.com as my homepage since May of 2003 and it has worked fine up till now. Everytime I go into the "tools" and "internet options" section and then try to change my homepage to google.com and then click apply and close the window it works when I click the homepage button in explorer. But as soon as I restart my computer and open explorer that hugesearch page comes up. I have completely deleted all my cookies, history, temporary internet files and any other programs in my programs folder in the C: drive (after uninstalling it first) that seem suspicious; basically anything I did not install. I don't understand what it going on here unless some page I came across made my computer download some file or soemthing. I have dealt with a lot of pop-ups and other windows coming up for sites that want me to download some files but this problem I have now makes those look like a joke. It's like I have no control. I knew Windows sucks but I never knew it was that bad. Help!

G

To: Joseph Meehan, thanks I think I will do that. I was just hoping there was a specific place on my HD that I could goto to find whatever is causing this problem, but mabye that is easier said than done. I will have to try some virus software, but had stopped using it a while ago because it cuts down on preformance like 1000 lbs would cut down on a racecars performance.

To: Anonymous, And there is a clear difference between being a kiss-ass to Windows and being someone who occasionally takes the time out of there day once and a while to take a reality check and realize that there may be somethings you don't know, ok Mr. Bill Gates. You couldn't tell me what folders to look into and what files to look for cause you don't know s**t about Windows, the only people that do are the morons who wrote the pitiful program we call Windows. I can think of hundreds of reasons why Windows sucks, performance would be reason 1 out of 1000, or lack of it I should say. I am qualified to talk this way about Windows because I have used so many different versions of it for years as well as a whole plethora of Microsoft's crappy programs. Micorsoft has a very distroted view of what I want as a PC user, I am going to have to go to Linux someday, the sooner the better. I don't need any Tech support to hold my hand, I know how to handle a computer until it is affected with a virus or something similar to a virus. I don't know how old you are but I am 19 and I can certainly say kids know a lot more these days about computers than adults do. I can smell your ignorance buttmunch. My computer is not the problem, I am running a P4 3.0 Ghz with an 800 Mhz bus and that's a lot more than I can say for most people like your sorry a**. I don't think the ISP is my problem either, it mabye something that my ISP sent me but it was on my behalf, its not thier fault directly or even indirectly. I will never stop using computers. I don't know if your post was supposed to entertain anyone but if it was I am not seeing the humor. I was asking a very specific question that neither you or anyone else is gonna be able to answer because none of yall is up to the challenge. Virus software? You don't think I though of that, give me a break. I was looking for a way to physically go on the harddrive and remove whatever file/s are causing my homepage to set itself to hugesearch.com everytime I restart it and not allow me to keep a homepage I set after I have restarted the system. Obviously these files came from the internet, that much is obvious. Would a vurus software have blocken them, I would bet so but I don't like virus software. What I would enjoy knowing is if anyone is knowledgeable enough about windows to know where a file like the ones I am after would have located themselves and what they might be called. Has anyone else had these problems? But I think my problem is unique which will make it hard to find anyone who know anything. You said "Do us all a favor and lock the computer up and cancel the ISP." Don't use the word "us" and don't even pretend anyone else is behind you on your beliefs. You are a nothing to me. Well just because someone is attacked by a virus does not mean they should not use computers. You have a very sick way of solving problems. I would recomend that if you would like to look like anything more than the idiot I know you are you would try to sound more professional and unassuming instead of pitifully failing at attempting to launch a full scale attack on my intelliegnce. Have a nice day :)

R

roger

Hi Jeff,

Download the utility CWshredder:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip

Unzip - close *all* instances of IE & OE, hit the executable and
follow
the prompts.

You can also download Hijack This from here:

http://www.mjc1.com/files/merijn/hijackthis.exe

Go here:

http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

For instructions on how to use it; you have to post the log it
produces so experts tell you what is good and what is malware

Try downloading, installing and updating the
spyware removers from the links below. Run both of them.

Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Spybot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

If these don't correct the problem, then get yourself a copy of
BHODemon, available at
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm .

It does not need installing - simply unzip and run the EXE program. It
is easy to use. It will find the hijackware DLL files, and give you
the ability to disable them.

Good luck, hope this helps.

C

C.Joseph Drayton

Hi Jeff,

I don't want to get involved in a flame-war, I just want to say that in today's Internet it is necessary to be protected. I
agree that most AV give a performance hit, but do you have x number of hours to waste repairing from a virus attack. I use
Norton which is probably the resource hungriest of the AVs. Since I have used it I have not been infected with a virus. I charge
$100US an hour and I would hate having to waste my time manually removing a virus.

I use ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Anti virus 2003, Lavasoft Ad-Aware v6.181, and Patrick M. Kolla's Spybot Search and
Destroy. I do a full scan once a week and have AV set to auto protect.

To each his own, but I know what my time is worth.

Ciao . . .
C.Joseph

++ Let know man judge me until . . .
he has walked the road I have . . .
in the shoes I've worn. ++

http://kalek1.home.mindspring.com

To: Anonymous, And there is a clear difference between being a kiss-ass to Windows and being someone who occasionally takes the time out of there day once and a while to take a reality check and realize that there may be somethings you don't know, ok Mr. Bill Gates. You couldn't tell me what folders to look into and what files to look for cause you don't know s**t about Windows, the only people that do are the morons who wrote the pitiful program we call Windows. I can think of hundreds of reasons why Windows sucks, performance would be reason 1 out of 1000, or lack of it I should say. I am qualified to talk this way about Windows because I have used so many different versions of it for years as well as a whole plethora of Microsoft's crappy programs. Micorsoft has a very distroted view of what I want as a PC user, I am going to have to go to Linux someday, the sooner the better. I don't need any Tech support to hold my hand, I know how to handle a computer until it i
s affected with a virus or something similar to a virus. I don't know how old you are but I am 19 and I can certainly say kids know a lot more these days about computers than adults do. I can smell your ignorance buttmunch. My computer is not the problem, I am running a P4 3.0 Ghz with an 800 Mhz bus and that's a lot more than I can say for most people like your sorry a**. I don't think the ISP is my problem either, it mabye something that my ISP sent me but it was on my behalf, its not thier fault directly or even indirectly. I will never stop using computers. I don't know if your post was supposed to entertain anyone but if it was I am not seeing the humor. I was asking a very specific question that neither you or anyone else is gonna be able to answer because none of yall is up to the challenge. Virus software? You don't think I though of that, give me a break. I was looking for a way to physically go on the harddrive and remove whatever file/s are causing my hom
epage to set itself to hugesearch.com everytime I restart it and not allow me to keep a homepage I set after I have restarted the system. Obviously these files came from the internet, that much is obvious. Would a vurus software have blocken them, I would bet so but I don't like virus software. What I would enjoy knowing is if anyone is knowledgeable enough about windows to know where a file like the ones I am after would have located themselves and what they might be called. Has anyone else had these problems? But I think my problem is unique which will make it hard to find anyone who know anything. You said "Do us all a favor and lock the computer up and cancel the ISP." Don't use the word "us" and don't even pretend anyone else is behind you on your beliefs. You are a nothing to me. Well just because someone is attacked by a virus does not mean they should not use computers. You have a very sick way of solving problems. I would recomend that if you would like to
look like anything more than the idiot I know you are you would try to sound more professional and unassuming instead of pitifully failing at attempting to launch a full scale attack on my intelliegnce. Have a nice day :)

G

Thanks Roger, CW shredder worked right away. It fixed the problem. I am amazed it was that easy. It's nice to know that there is someone out there who knows anything unlike some people.

R

roger

You're welcome, Jeff :)

Now you know how to deal with hijackware, and these utiilities are
handy.

Ask a Question