Problem With Plextor PX-740A

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My DVD Drive has disappeared from my computer. :(

I burned a cd not three days ago and all was fine then, I only noticed it late last night when i went to burn another one.

Its seen in BIOS, and Everest. When i go into device manager its got an Exclamation mark next to it and it says the following....

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
I can still open it and close it just as normal, but it aint working....

I checked the connections, everything is plugged in, Reinstalled the driver, and still nothing...

Window XP all up to date and spec is in my sig.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Found a couple of things:

http://forum.ccleaner.com/lofiversion/index.php/t4420.html - seems CCLeaner may have deleted something needed.

And here: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/ - where they suggest deleting some reg keys and re-installing drive. Careful though - back up registry first!

Also some reports of problems after installing itunes: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=158981 - that involves deleting some reg keys as well.

user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There are no "drivers" except generic ATAPI Windows drivers ... un-install the hardware via device mangler and reboot the system.

If that fails replace the drive with a new one.

You havent been playing any Sony DVDs have you? ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers Ady, I did use Ccleaner on tuesday, and backed up the changes it made, maybe i'll try putting them back.

I will give that other fix a go in a bit, as they seen to have the same prob exactly.

I did uninstall Itunes a couple of days ago coz i dont like it, wonder if thats got anything to do with it....

muckshifter said:
There are no "drivers" except generic ATAPI Windows drivers ... un-install the hardware via device mangler and reboot the system.

If that fails replace the drive with a new one.

You havent been playing any Sony DVDs have you? ;)

I tried that earlier and no luck...You think the drive is knackered then mucks?

Sony CD's dont go anywhere near this pc. ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There is one way to be 99% sure ... put it in another working PC.

:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Victory!!

Cheers guys,

Ady, That 2nd link you posted is exactly the prob i had. I followed the instructions below and its working fine. :D

I'll post them here for reference if anyone else has the same problem later. :)

From Microsoft XP Resource Kit:

Error Code 41 - Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.
If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Even if the device was not removed, you may want to remove it and try the complete uninstall / re-install.

From Windows XP Knowledge Base:

CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41 after you remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
7. Restart your computer.

Although this is specific to removing Easy CD Creator, others cite this as a general fix for Code 41.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers again Ad's. :thumb:

Guess i should have tried Google before i posted, s'pose i just being lazy, well that i had a meet down the pub... :)

Ask a Question