Problem with Online gaming MotoGP2

Reaction score
I have had a major problem ever since playing MotoGp2 online, either on Gamespy or through direct IP connection. The issue is that having me in the race seems to alter all the timings and when the race is close I get placed ahead of the riders I was close behind on the track. Eg, if I am 1 second behind the rider in front of me when we go over the line after a 3 or 5 lap race, more often than not I will be placed ahead of him by maybe 1-2 seconds when the results come up for that race. This is a total pain, since results have to then be manually altered. I have tried reinstalling the game, have tried other adsl hardware, updated video drivers, etc but still this problem exists.

I do not play any other games except Moto, so cannot see if I get a similar problem with other games. I know that this has happened before to other people, but nothing like the extent that I get the problem. Also I have read up on things like UDP packet optimisation and dead reackoning, but don't see that these are anything i can have much influence over. I also know that there is alot of cheating going on in online shoot 'em up games that might mirror (sort of) my symptoms, but I race with a strictly anti-cheating community and that is my stance also. (ie, NONE of my game files have been altered in any way).

All I can think now is that it is an ISP, or possibly a localised internet problem. I use Virgin.net currently ( a datastream provider) but am in the process of migrating to f2s.com (who i think use IPStream) and uprating to 2mb at the same time. This is scheduled to happen tomorrow, so I will be able to see if this fixes the problem.

On the assumption that it won't do (and I don't think it will), I would be very grateful to hear any suggestions as to what may be the cause, and also if you have any similar experiences perhaps with other racing games. Any links to further info would be appreciated too.

Thanks alot
Jerm

PS: Hardware, etc -
Rock Quaddra XT-Pro notebook
P4 3.2ghz
1gb DDR333
ATI M10 128mb
Win XP Pro
DLink G604T router / modem (used wired)
ADSL 512/256 (soon to be 2048/256)

Ask a Question