From: "Gary on Ledges" <[email protected]>
Subject: Problem With Add Printer - Subsystem is Unavailable
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:19:37 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

All of my printers are gone. Upon trying to "add
printer", I receivce the message: "Out of resources:
Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of
resources. The print subsystem is unavailable." I have
followed the instructions from Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article - 811348 without success. How can I reinstall
the "Add Printer" function without totally reinstalling
Windows?
--

Was the Print Spooler service started when you tried the steps from 811348? I ask because it usually is not started when
we see no printers in the Printers folder and get teh message you are seeing. If it was started then check the permissions

If the permissions check out and the Print Spooler service does not start then we want to check for third-party port monitors
or print processors. Check the following registry key for third-party monitors, removing any non-default monitors after
exporting the key as a backup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

The default port monitors are:

AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
BJ Language Monitor
Local Port
PJL Language Monitor
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
Windows NT Fax Monitor
LPR Port

Check the following registry key for third-party print providers, removing any non-default print providers after exporting the
key as a backup:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers

The default print providers are:

Internet Print Provider
LanMan Print Services

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Seenit

Seen it before..not sure why it happens but a reboot
usally brings the printers back in. It may be that the
spooler crashes (stops working) and that is why they
dissappear.

Bill Z.

Seenit said:
Seen it before..not sure why it happens but a reboot
usally brings the printers back in. It may be that the
spooler crashes (stops working) and that is why they
dissappear.

Go to a c prompt and type:

c:\ net start spooler

Worked for me.