Problem updating Windows Rights Management

Dallas Overturf

Windows Rights Management Services Client with Service Pack 2 (KB917275)

Date last published: 1/9/2007

From IE7 Tools > Windows update. This fails.

MBSA 2 also claims this is confirmed missing, and is the only thing it shows
as missing.

When I try to fix it via the MBSA download; it claims: The feature you are
trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

The source it seems to be pointing at is: c:\cd51cb865da334fc51500f9bfdc9\

This directory is not on C:\ (and I'm showing hidden Files and Folders and
am not hiding Protected System files).

The only msdrmclient.msi file I can find is located in:
C:\1b1ea481962d2d768c5914be
I tried pointing to that and it claims: it is not a valid installation
package for the product Windows Rights Management Client.

When I cancel out finally; It indicates that: The older version of Windows
Rights Management with service pack 2 cannot be uninstalled. Contact your
technical support group.

Note: I have also tried to uninstall from add remove programs. Same stuff is
happening.

Running XP Home SP 2 all updates via windows update are installed. On just
this computer.

Processor AMD ATHLON XP+1800 768MB Ram.

Finally I should note that a week ago I tried to resolve this per a google
search that indicated I should do a Delete Files; I tried that and no luck.
In going back through my update history this apparently failed a few months
back (probably the initial update). One thng I'm concerned about is that
this update seems to indicate it also contains support for x64 architecture.
Any chance this has anything to do with the problem?

I'm guessing the problem will need to be fixed manually in the registry??
I've modified the registry before; but in this case I'd appreciate some
info on what would need to be done to remove RMS software manually so that
the update would be able to run; (if possible??)

Thank you
folks very much for any help on this! Dallas...
--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
Newsgroups to reply to me me via email, please fix the email address

----------

I am terribly sorry to have to do this but I have been looking at this
web-site for quite some time and for the life of me I can't figure out how to
make a post to this site. If I'm not too far out of line, could you please
illuminate me?

Bob

Dallas Overturf

No problem;

Not sure what you are posting from; but look for a New Post button
somewhere.
I use OE to read news and sometimes google Both use "New Post" buttons.
If you are comming in from microsoft I think you'll find a "New" button on
the left next to the "Reply" button.
You'll use the new button to start your own post.
If you are using something else to read news groups I don't know but it's
probably similar.

Regards,
Dallas...