Problem installing XP PRO over 2000 Pro

John_J_Johnson \(removethis\)

I am attempting to install (upgrade mode) Windows XP
Professional on a system that already has Windows 2000
Professional (NTFS). The compatibility check indicated
that all installed hardware was fully compatible. The
installation process has been on the 'Preparing
Installation' for over an hour with extremely limited
hard drive access. The 'splash' on the side of the setup
screen continues to change. Any ideas? Should I just
perform a 'new' installation? I would like to avoid this
as MSOffice and FrontPage are on the system already and
the installation software was lost in a move.

John Johnson

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A "New Installation" should only be selected if you wish
to install Windows XP on an available empty drive or partition.

Windows XP Setup Stops Responding (Hangs) During the "Preparing Installation" Phase
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315323&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP