Excel Problem importing contact data from Excel 2000 to Outlook 2000 Contact folder

Reaction score
Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600,
MS Office 2000, Outlook Version 9.0 Build 3821, SR1 Corporate or Workgroup

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the website so please be gentle!
bowdown.gif

I'm importing contact data from Excel to Outlook but the first record does not import. The other records, however, import fine. The sequence:

Excel:
  • VLOOKUP to extract First Name, Last Name and email address from main sheet to new sheet - returned 1st value then fill handle down and right (3 columns adjacent)
  • Copy/Paste Special/Values to remove formulas
  • Named range
  • Closed Excel
Outlook:
  • Import/Export, Microsoft Excel, Selected file.
  • In 'The following actions will be performed' dialog, clicked on 'Import range ' checkbox to Map Custom Fields
  • Noticed that the email value in the first row only has a hash character where the period should be i.e. (e-mail address removed). Address is correct in spreadsheet. Clicking Next button displays the other rows and all email addresses are correctly formatted
Actions:
  • Searched Outlook support online
  • Searched and deleted Microsoft Excel.adr and Optimised Outlook Field Mapping as per Microsoft Article 236903
  • Built new test spreadsheet using fields in test.xls (from previous step)
  • Repeated exercise - same result!
  • Tore remaining hair from head (not too difficult, bald already!)
  • Searched Outlook support online (again!)
  • Arrived at this website
  • Registered
  • Composed myself
  • Composed thread
  • Posted thread
  • Made coffee
  • Sat back and waiting in hope!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question