problem ejecting usb mass storage device

John Allen

I have an external usb drive. Running on machine with
Windows XP pro, all updates have been done. I click on
safely remove hardware, I then select the drive (usb mass
storage device), then hit OK. In the next box, I select
the usb mass storage device and hit stop. I get the
message, problem ejecting usb mass storage device with
the words

The device "generic volume" cannot be stopped right now.
Try stopping the device again later.

I try later, but same result. I have tried removing and
reinstalling the device. It works for a while but then
fails as above.

How to resolve this issue

George Bashore

John,
Mine does the same thing. If I go to the Windows Explorer and click on C:\
drive and then try removing the USB mass storage drive it will work.
It seems, if the mass storage drive has focus it will not let you disconnect
correctly.
Hope this helps.
George

gezerglide

I've had my USB drive for quite some time now and I wouldn't worry too much
about it. Personally I just turn the thing off when I'm done with it. (Not
if it's active though) No problems so far. (And yes, USB cables can be
safely plugged or unplugged hot if desired without fear of hardware damage)
If it were a pc card plugged into a laptop then , yes I would utilize the
remove function before pulling it out.

xlntxpert

"John Allen" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
I have an external usb drive. Running on machine with
Windows XP pro, all updates have been done. I click on
safely remove hardware, I then select the drive (usb mass
storage device), then hit OK. In the next box, I select
the usb mass storage device and hit stop. I get the
message, problem ejecting usb mass storage device with
the words

The device "generic volume" cannot be stopped right now.
Try stopping the device again later.

I try later, but same result. I have tried removing and
reinstalling the device. It works for a while but then
fails as above.

How to resolve this issue
To find out which process is blocking a removable device, and kill it
is EASY.

First download the FREE Sysinternals Process Explorer(PE)

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

Start PE and add the "Window Title" column under View - "Selec
Columns...",

and then do a Find - "Find Handle...", followed by a "Find DLL...".

Just type the root to the drive. If your device is R: you type R:\

and press Enter. If there are hits just click on one, and th
handle/DLL

is highlighted inside the process holding it. Then close the Lowe
Pane(Ctrl+L).

Enter or double-click THE PROCESS and see if there is a "Services
tab.

If so, the responsible service(s) therein must be stopped. It is NO
recommended

(in fact, usually impossible) to try to just kill the process.

To stop and start services issue Start - Run... services.msc

or issue NET START at a command line to get a list using the lon
"Display Name", and

NET STOP servicename
or
NET START servicename

Tip: You can use the short "Service" name from PE or the long "Displa
Name".

There is no general answer to which service(s) must be stopped. Us
your brain, guess and test.

If there is no "Services" tab, or no services are registered, tr
stopping the process

the way you would normally do. If it has a hidden window, you ca
activate it by

right clicking and select Window - "Bring to Front".

If neither of these work, try stopping the process by right clickin
and select

"Kill Process".

Note: "Kill Process Tree" also kills all processes started by th
parent(the selected process)