Printing Problem's (USB & Labels)

G

I recently upgraded my Sony Vaio notebook from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro. Everything worked well with ME, but as soon as XP started - so did my printing problems.

(1) I frequently move my notebook from point A to point B and the USB printer is unplugged and each time the USB port is re-attached I get a new Z35 printer installation even though it's the exact same printer. You end up with lots of Z35's installed and you can't use the printer unless you can determine which Lexmark Z35 printer is the one that XP wants to communicate with. It's very annoying. Lexmark indicated my drivers are up to date and so does XP.

(2) I also need to print lables and I can not print any labels with MS Word 2K, XP and my Z35, but could with ME, Word 2K and Z35. When I select the correct Z35 from the many installed I can print normal documents and graphics, but not a label. Don't know if the two print problems are related. I get normal print indications for printing labels such as the initial printer handshake where the printer starts doing it's double 'KaThunk, KaThunk" then absolutely nothing. It's like XP already thought the print job was completed and even shows 0 print jobs in the printer status panel. The print status panel showed 1 job before the handshake.

I did a little research and believe the USB problem has to do with XP's Virtual USB Ports. I have not found out how to turn off the Virtual USB Ports. Has anyone encountered or heard anything about this? Don't know about the labels - Have not a clue!! Would appreciate what ever help anyone can give.

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

First of all, if the printer was connected during the upgrade, you need to
COMPLETELY uninstall it and then reinstall it.
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article One.htm

When it is disconnected and reconnected, you need to ensure it is connected
to the SAME USB port each time.... perhaps labelling which port you use
might help in this regard.

G

I use a USB hub at one location and at the other I use the local pc USB port. Is that not possible to do with XP?

G

At the bottom of the screen by the clok, there is a little green arrow icon that you click on each time you want to safely remove a piece of hardware.

then, once you plug it back in, the cpu sees it and then automatically remembers it. Try pushing the icon before you unplug your printer and you may be able to fix your little problem.

Thanks

Jody

G

cannot get my printer to print when I am online at the frist time this
promble started and now I can not print any thing, also cuold not uninstall

Ask a Question