Printer stopped working

One of a sudden my HP Deskjet 5550 stopped working. Have had it working fine
for 3 years now. Tried to uninstall and re-install to no avail.

Installation goes fine, ithe installation routine even prints out a sample
page, but after the installation completes, that's it, no more printing!!
Trying to print a test page goes through the process of printing, the ink
levels even show in a small window, the queue shows the document printing,
the receive light blinks in the printer for a while... the queues empties,
the light in the printer stops, and nothing happens.

If I install the driver without using the installation program and let
Windows identify the printer by itself it doesn't see it. If I choose the
location to look for for the driver it sees it, but at the end a balloon pops
up at the task bar stating that there are some problems with the device and
it might not work properly.

I am running XP Pro. The machine is in a domain, but I have tried the
routine also logging in to the computer itself with same results. I went to
the HP website and downloaded the latest driver, it is the same I had before.
I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and the printer was working fine.

Any ideas?

Eduardo

Jim Macklin

The ink levels are estimated, not measured. Try new ink
cartridges that are freshly bought and just opened.

some support

"Eduardo Pietri" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| One of a sudden my HP Deskjet 5550 stopped working. Have
had it working fine
| for 3 years now. Tried to uninstall and re-install to no
avail.

| Installation goes fine, ithe installation routine even
prints out a sample
| page, but after the installation completes, that's it, no
more printing!!
| Trying to print a test page goes through the process of
printing, the ink
| levels even show in a small window, the queue shows the
document printing,
| the receive light blinks in the printer for a while... the
queues empties,
| the light in the printer stops, and nothing happens.
|
| If I install the driver without using the installation
program and let
| Windows identify the printer by itself it doesn't see it.
If I choose the
| location to look for for the driver it sees it, but at the
end a balloon pops
| up at the task bar stating that there are some problems
with the device and
| it might not work properly.
|
| I am running XP Pro. The machine is in a domain, but I
have tried the
| routine also logging in to the computer itself with same
results. I went to
| the HP website and downloaded the latest driver, it is the
same I had before.
| I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and the printer was
working fine.

| Any ideas?
|
| Eduardo

Jim, thanks for the response.

When I send something to print, nothing happens at all in the printer,
except the blinking light. No movement of the heads or attempt to pull
paper, nothing at all. During the installation process it prints fine,
cartridges have enough ink. I can even go to the HP printer software utility
and print a sample page again. It prints fine, but no other application can
print to it, not even a Test Page from the properties tab.

Eduardo

Jim Macklin

Completely remove the printer and the software. If it is
connected by USB, remove the USB too in Device Manager.
Then install the software and then the printer according to
the instructions.

wrote in message
| Jim, thanks for the response.
|
| When I send something to print, nothing happens at all in
the printer,
| except the blinking light. No movement of the heads or
attempt to pull
| paper, nothing at all. During the installation process it
prints fine,
| cartridges have enough ink. I can even go to the HP
printer software utility
| and print a sample page again. It prints fine, but no
other application can
| print to it, not even a Test Page from the properties tab.
|
| Eduardo
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > The ink levels are estimated, not measured. Try new ink
| > cartridges that are freshly bought and just opened.
| >

| > --
| > some support
| > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| >

| > "Eduardo Pietri"
<[email protected]>
| > wrote in message
| >
| > | One of a sudden my HP Deskjet 5550 stopped working.
Have
| > had it working fine
| > | for 3 years now. Tried to uninstall and re-install to
no
| > avail.
| > |
| > | Installation goes fine, ithe installation routine even
| > prints out a sample
| > | page, but after the installation completes, that's it,
no
| > more printing!!
| > | Trying to print a test page goes through the process
of
| > printing, the ink
| > | levels even show in a small window, the queue shows
the
| > document printing,
| > | the receive light blinks in the printer for a while...
the
| > queues empties,
| > | the light in the printer stops, and nothing happens.
| > |
| > | If I install the driver without using the installation
| > program and let
| > | Windows identify the printer by itself it doesn't see
it.
| > If I choose the
| > | location to look for for the driver it sees it, but at
the
| > end a balloon pops
| > | up at the task bar stating that there are some
problems
| > with the device and
| > | it might not work properly.
| > |
| > | I am running XP Pro. The machine is in a domain, but
| > have tried the
| > | routine also logging in to the computer itself with
same
| > results. I went to
| > | the HP website and downloaded the latest driver, it is
the
| > same I had before.
| > | I upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and the printer was
| > working fine.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > | Eduardo

Jim,

Thanks again. Did that and made no difference.

Something ever wierder I just noticed. I WAS able to print a report from
Quicken!! I tried the Print Test Page and still didn't work. I tried a
bunch of other applications and still didn't work.

I am at a loss here. I am in the process of re-installing (re-upgrade) XP
Pro to see if that makes any difference.

Eduardo

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I guess something got corrupted within XP. The printer is back to normal
after the XP Pro re-install.

Eduardo

Jim Macklin

It is too bad that errors don't have a plain English popup
window that explains the problem and the fix. Someday, when
computers are a thousand times faster with a billion times
the memory, we can get self-diagnostic that really work for
the average user.

Now that you have it fixed, be sure to make a restore point.

wrote in message
| PROBLEM SOLVED!!
|
| I guess something got corrupted within XP. The printer is
back to normal
| after the XP Pro re-install.
|
| Eduardo
|
| "Eduardo Pietri" wrote:
|
| > Jim,
| >
| > Thanks again. Did that and made no difference.
| >
| > Something ever wierder I just noticed. I WAS able to
print a report from
| > Quicken!! I tried the Print Test Page and still didn't
work. I tried a
| > bunch of other applications and still didn't work.
| >
| > I am at a loss here. I am in the process of
re-installing (re-upgrade) XP
| > Pro to see if that makes any difference.
| >
| > Eduardo
| >
| > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
| >
| > > Completely remove the printer and the software. If it
is
| > > connected by USB, remove the USB too in Device
Manager.
| > > Then install the software and then the printer
according to
| > > the instructions.
| > >

| > > --
| > > The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| > > some support
| > > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| > >

| > > "Eduardo Pietri"
<[email protected]>