Windows XP "Printer Spooler" alerts on Wireless Laptops on home LAN

Reaction score
Have searched Google and various fora on this, but can't find my specific problem.

Have an HP a1620n running Win XP MCE and Norton 360. Attached to LPT 1 I have an HP OfficeJet K60 All-in-One, with printer sharing enabled.

I have a Verizon DSL Modem/Wireless Router through which my laptops connect to my home network. One is a HP Pavilion dv4040us and the other is a HP Pavilion dv6105us. Both run Norton as well (Norton Internet Security 2004 on the former, and Norton 360 on the latter.

I can print from the Desktop fine, but from the Laptops via the LAN has been a problem.

I just moved here and am new to Verizon's modem, but previously, I had this setup working, with a different modem that did not have WEP enabled. So initially, I had trouble getting the laptops on the LAN, but after reading the Verizon instructions and entering the WEP key in the Laptops, they were on-line.

Then I was unable to install the shared Printer on the laptops - it just wouldn't show up in the "Add Printer" Wizard, until I disabled the firewalls, and was then able to install the shared printer on all of the Laptops.

So now the shared printer appears on the laptops as an available printer, but when I send a document to the printer from a Laptop, it never prints. This is true of BOTH laptops - it APPEARS to be sent to the printer, I get no pop-ups or error messages, but nothing gets to the printer. I open a printer window for the printer on the laptop and it is blank (i.e. no documents pending, no error messages, nothing).

When I then try to go to printer properties, I get (after a long delay) a pop-up error saying that the print spooler is not running.

I have gone to Administrative Tools>Services on all three machines, and all three indicate that PrintSpooler is Started and in Automatic. I have attempted stopping and restarting and I still get the same error. I cannot believe that I have a problem with the drivers, since all three machines have printed to this printer in the past, before this new home setup with the new modem/router.

What should I check or do next?

Ask a Question