print spooler service is not running

After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a printer I
get the message:
"Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
message:
"Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again.

How can I fix this problem? I can not figure out how to fix it/ install new
printer or print anything...? any suggestions? Thanks, WJ

RWS

WJ said:
After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
printer I
get the message:
"Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
running"
After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
message:
"Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again.

How can I fix this problem? I can not figure out how to fix it/ install
new
printer or print anything...? any suggestions? Thanks, WJ
Start > Run > type in "services.msc" (without quotes) and click OK
Services window opens - maximize it to make it easier to see -
Scroll down to Print Spooler service -
Double click on it to open the properties for it -
The Startup Type should be "Automatic"
Then click on Start under Service Status
Once it is started, click OK -
Then close the Services window.
See if your issue is resolved

I am having the same problem. whn I do as you directed, I get the following:
Error 11068. Dependency service or group failed to start".. Any idea on
what I can try next?
Thanks RB

Hey Rock, I copy/pasted the info below from Cari- who helped me out-- she was
great and fixed my problem. Read the message below or enter (print spooler
service is not running) in the MSN Windows xp search request--I copied all
the info below, however the direct links to cari's website might not work
Re:(http://www.coribright.com/windows/A....coribright.com/windows/Article Nine.htm)----
more than likely she will respond to your questions-- she did to me. Good
luck, WJ

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Cari, I did as you suggested and was able to delete then add the printer
driver...ETC... and my printer is working again. I cant say how happy I am--
Thank you, this was the easiest solution to what could have been a huge
problem-- I apreciate your assistance, WHEN NO ONE ELSE- INCLUDING MSN COULD
HELP--YOU CAME THRU---your website friends are correct-- you can make
printers disappear and reappear like magic... =:) THANKS AGAIN, WJ

WJ said:
I was able to do all but Step 4...? Look at the Toolbar. Select File, then
Server Properties. Look in the Drivers tab. Highlight the printers drivers
listed here and click on Remove for each one. -------It wont let me delete
the driver --it tells me it is currently in use and can not be deleted...?
Was this post helpful to you?

Hey Rock, I meant for you to enter (printer spooler stops when trying to add
a printer) in the MSN windows xp {Search for}, sorry- that will link you to
the conversation cari & I had. Hope this helps, WJ

I try Going to Start>Run and type in Services.MSC. Went to service
called Print Spooler. status:stopped when I click state message say"the
Dependency service or group fail to start.Also try going to command typing
innet start spooler what come up is Dependecy service or group fail to start
try opening properties and that would not open I do gets the error message
error 1068.I have also try to do a system restorer and that would'nt work.

Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
"WJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After a system crash all printers are gone and when trying to add a
> printer I
> get the message:
> "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not
> running"
> After starting the service manually and trying to add a printer I get the
> message:
> "Operation could not be completed" and the service is stopped again.
>
> How can I fix this problem? I can not figure out how to fix it/ install
> new
> printer or print anything...? any suggestions? Thanks, WJ

Start > Run > type in "services.msc" (without quotes) and click OK
Services window opens - maximize it to make it easier to see -
Scroll down to Print Spooler service -
Double click on it to open the properties for it -
The Startup Type should be "Automatic"
Then click on Start under Service Status
Once it is started, click OK -
Then close the Services window.
See if your issue is resolved

I had this same problem and I did everything above, and before it would give me the error, Operation failed, printer spooler is not working, but after I did this it allowed me to go through to the add printer steps until i got to the printer port screen, it should show the available ports but that area is blank, and after i exit out of that since i can't go any further, i try to start it again and it shows printer spooler is not working again.. So i am confused on what to do but I need this fixed and out of ideas on what to do. I am running Windows XP, need to be able to install my HP Laserjet 1020