Print .prn file to USB printer

RAH

Hi,

I had a little batch program that allowed me to print a .prn on my old
desktop to a printer attached to its parallel port. It went something like:

copy filename.prn lpt1
exit

OK - so I'm not quite up to challenging Bill Gates yet lol.

Is there a simple way to modify this to print a .prn file to my new Canon
i865 printer on a USB port on my new laptop? The printer seems to be
attached to USB001 port.

TIA,

RAH.
P.S. I forgot to mention that I'm running XP SP2 and that my laptop has no
parallel port. There seems no way to 'capture port'. After
googling I tried 'net use lpt1:\\servername\printername' in DOS but keep
getting system error 67.

before the new printer/new laptop LPT1 was the Port your Printer was
connected to. And now it is USB001.

Have yout simply tried

'copy filename.prn > USB001' ?

kind regards

Dirk

RAH

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. As far as I am aware DOS doesn't recognise USB ports.
I tried your suggestion and unfortunately it did do anything.

RAH

VManes

Found on Experts Exchange:
~~~~~~~~
Print to a USB printer via LPT.

Yes, I've done this on a Windows 2000 Professional PC. I think it would
work on other versions too.

From what I remember, you want to install the printer to the USB port, i.e.
USB001.

Then you have to share the printer. Our printer is shared as HPLJ2000D.

Then use the following commands:

NET USE LPT1 \\COMP_NAME\HPLJ200D /Persistent:YES (This should all be on
the same line. It basically redirects output on LPT1 to the shared printer
HPLJ2000D.)

NET VIEW \\COMP_NAME (To see the connection.)

Of course you need to replace COMP_NAME with the name of your computer.

You can delete the connection by using:
NET USE LPT1 /DELETE
~~~~~~~~~

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

[...]

Thanks for your help so far. I managed to enter the 'NET USE' instruction
successfully with no errors. However, when I run the batch file to copy the
..prn file to the printer (on lpt1 which then forwards to usb001) the printer
whirls up but nothing is output. Could it be that the .prn file was created
with another printer attached to another computer on a parallel port and
that any printer specific info in the .prn file makes it incompatible with
the new printer?

TIA,
RAH

VManes

Yes, the .prn file would have to have been aimed at the particular model.
And at that, I was not completely successful with the .prn method. There
may be more to the USB connection than meets the eye, with respect to
windows formatted output. Doing a simple text file to the printer worked
fine, as in:
c:> copy somefile.txt lpt1

Something I've just looked for, and can no longer find, is the
question/option of making the printer available to DOS programs when setting
up a new printer. Again, that may be specific to the particular model's
driver/setup.

I could not copy the .prn to my HP Business Inkjet 2230, but it worked just
fine to my trusty ole LaserJet III.

Things that make you say, "Hmmmmm........"

Val

Hi,
Thanks for your help so far. I managed to enter the 'NET USE' instruction
successfully with no errors. However, when I run the batch file to copy the
..prn file to the printer (on lpt1 which then forwards to usb001) the printer
whirls up but nothing is output. Could it be that the .prn file was created
with another printer attached to another computer on a parallel port and
that any printer specific info in the .prn file makes it incompatible with
the new printer?

TIA,
RAH

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi RAH,

Thank you for posting here.

Please try these steps:

1. Share the printer in the printers folder and give it a (short) share
name (e.g. USB)
2. From the command prompt you can now use: copy /b file.prn
<\\COMPUTER\USB>

Wish it helps.

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "RAH" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Print .prn file to USB printer
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:11:43 +0100

Hi,

[...]

Bob,
on behalf of myself (who's been helping RAH) and, I think, RAH, thanks for
the "/b" flag for the copy command. That solved my lack of success in
copying .prn to HP 2230.

Val

From: "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: Print .prn file to USB printer
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:39:41 -0600

Bob,
[...]

so
rights.

--------------------
From: "RAH" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:11:43 +0100

Hi,

[...]

I'm trying to print a prn file to my USB printer as well. When I following
your instructions for creating the short share name and then use the copy /b
file.prn \\computer\usb command, I get an error of "access is denied 0 files
copied". Any suggestions on how to correct this?

By The way, I am using Windows XP Pro SP1.

Thanks

Thanks anyway, I found the problem. The printer setting was set to print
directly to the printer. When I changed it to spool print documents it worked
just fine.