primary slave drive not found in windows

Reaction score
I have a dell dimension 4600 2.8 ghz 1gb corsair sdram 3200/400 windows xp sp2 . It came originally with a seagate ata/100 80gb hdd, I added a seagate 250mb ata/100 in the slave position jumpered cable select as recomended by dell, booted up and went in to bios enabled the drive to auto drive showed up no problem went to disk management nowhere to be found. Changed jumpers to every conceivable configuration no show in disk management or anywhere except the bios. So I figured it was a format problem decided to go ahead and do a fresh win xp install and format and partition with the set up disk it worked great, I put my original 80gb drive in the slave position all good. Then out of couriosity I switched positions with the drives booted up with the 80gb as master looked in disk management no 250gb hard drive it will not show up in the slave position no matter what I do, I even reformatted it in disk manager no dice. Has anyone expierienced this before or no anything I might be missing it just does'nt make any sense. thanks for all the help guys!

Reaction score
Has the 80GB hdd got windows XP on it. If it was formatted with FAT or FAT 32 it will nt be able to see a drive that was formatted with NTFS. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

Ask a Question