Preventing update pushes from network?

Ted

I am using my personal laptop with XP for consulting
work, my client is a huge fortune 500 company and does
updates of its desktop systems all the time.

I want to have internet access only and do not want them
to modify or update my system in anyway through their
network updates...How can I accomplish this?

Thank you

pauly [MSFT]

Hi Ted,

Any laptop is a potential threat to the health and security of the managed
network it is connecting to. Unmanaged laptops represent one of the
biggest threats to secutity of corporate computing domains. While
administrators have no control over what you might be running on that
machine, they have an obligation to protect their domain.

Discuss your concerns and objectives with a network administrator for the
Domain. Most update technology is pushed via Active Directory. It may be
possible for them to provide you with limited access (Internet for example)
without requiring you to log into their domain.

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "Ted" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Preventing update pushes from network?
| Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:42:43 -0800
|
| I am using my personal laptop with XP for consulting
| work, my client is a huge fortune 500 company and does
| updates of its desktop systems all the time.
|
| I want to have internet access only and do not want them
| to modify or update my system in anyway through their
| network updates...How can I accomplish this?
|
| Thank you

Thank you, access to the internet is all I require so
this may be an alternative to look into.

aagis

Don't tell nobody but i think it would be enough
to disable the "Automatic Updates" service.
(unless they though of that too).