PrevAdKeep and PrevAdServ Popup Virus-please help!

Reaction score
hello! i am having a problem with popups on my computer. the popup headings read either PrevAdKeep.exe or PrevAdServ.exe. when you try to close the popup/error window that appears, it will re-open again immediately. i have tried closing the program by doing the following: first, i go into Windows Task Manager, and then into Processes. then, when i try to close PrevAdServ or PrevAdKeep, it will close temporarily, but it will reopen mulitple times afterwards.

i believe that this is a virus. it seems to beslowing my computer down and making it harder to open programs and/or load things. if anyone has any information on downloads that will stop this virus, please reply or e-mail me at (email address removed for your protection, mucks). please and thank you for any help!!! :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi KG Girl

OK, I am far from an expert here and doutless others will come along later with some other words of advice but from what you say you have a virus on your computer. I did some checking with Google and this nasty has been around since March 2005.

First questions - what antivirus, antispyware programmes do you have on your PC. Have you run them, what do they bring up?

I suggest we take this one step at a time. I am confident that between us we can have you sorted but we need to know what protection you have on the PC first. What OS are you using???

Also, please forgive this suggestion but I would edit out your email address from your post as you don't want to be flodded with nonsense on your email account.

Us guys/gals here will keep our eye on your thread, have no fear!!

Gabs x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They are both part of the "nastie" WindUpdates ... download ALL the Anti-Spyware progs' in my sig', update and run 'em all one after the other.

You may find we have to resort to drastic measures. :(

Reaction score
thank you both very much for your help! :) i am going to download all of those programs right now. the only one i can find that i have on my pc right now is spyware dr. it hasn't found anything on the scan yet :( hopefully, those other programs will work! thanks again

Reaction score
ok, scratch that. spyware dr. came up with loads of stuff that contain possible viruses, but we have to pay to continue our virus protection with it. :( does anyone know of a really good virus/overall computer protection service that is much less than $29.99? or should i just download the free trials of all that stuff in your signature, muckshifter?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Don't pay for that program you have, use the ones suggested by Mucks and come back and let us know....

Another good one is Ewido, which you can find HERE

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok, i am downloading and running all of the programs you reccommended to me. they all seem to be removing a ton of stuff, so hopefully, the virus or viruses will be removed too!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry to dishearten you ... but they are not ALL viruses, but 'nasties' (a muckshifter word for all the other crap we get) ... you will still need a good anti-virus program AS WELL AS these 'spyware scanners'.

When you are done ... pop along to House Call and run it also ... it is FREE.

What AV program do you use?

All the 'Anti-Spware' scanners I point too are FREE, are good, but can only do so much for an overly infested system. :(

Reaction score
oh okay. thanks for making things easier to understand. :) the computer that is "infected" has spyware dr. and i think one other av program that i can't recall the name of. i downloaded SpySweeper from your sig and that seemed to help delete a lot of stuff (thanks again for that). i will download the other programs from you sig and use House Call afterwards. i will post again later if i continue having problems! thanks to all for your help with this :D

Ask a Question