Presario 5440 face plate removal

Reaction score
Hi;
I want to retrieve a hard-drive from a Compaq Presario 5440ca (I loaned the drive to the previous owner, who has given up on the system and given me the remains. The drive was functional when I loaned it, and I'd like to plant it back in it's home system and run Linux-only on it).
The side of the case comes off easily enough, but the front of the case has an enormous assemblage of plastic on it, which wraps around to the side and blocks a screw in the hard drive enclosure, which for some reason is placed vertically, up against the front of the case. The manual I found online makes no mention of how to remove the face plate (and is otherwise lacking in detail when relating hard drives).
I'm hoping the owner can show me how to do this: in the meantime, if anyone else is trying to farm one of these beasts for parts, hopefully an answer here can help them as well.
Probably the 'ca' means that this is a Canadian version, but hopefully there were European versions of this computer with the same face plate (it hides CD storage and easy-er access to the other drives).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Look carefully, you should see some plastic lugs holding the front on ... you need to squeeze them and pry off the front.

:user:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Drill through the plastic if your scrapping the case. ;)

Whillikers! - and the material blocking the screw I need is metal - and sister claims it wasn't in the way - but it blocks the screw entirely! Urgh...Also, I don't see any plastic clips yet for the whole front - there is some weird little piece like a rotating flag, attached to a rotating post inside the case, attached to a tab which rotates to fit a hole on the front - but it doesn't seem to be attached to anything...I gotta study this some more I see - and need to persuade sister to come over and SHOW me how she got in there to remove her busted ass hard drive, and put mine in (which I didn't know she was doing, I spent a lot of time putting an old system together so she'd have a desktop in her basement capable of going online and playing some old Win98 games, so there is already a wee bit of tension about things, never mind - )
Thanks for suggestions though. Maybe the lesson here is something I should have learned from Shakespeare's Polonius (?) :(

Ask a Question