Prefetch

Rob

I'm getting very confused about how prefetch works.

If it profiles each application and pre-loads pages, then I use a
third-party defrag tool (Diskkeeper 10 in my case) isn't that going to stuff
things up? That is, the applications are getting moved around on the
platters, so the .pf files will be referring to things that aren't there
anymore.

I suppose the question is, do third party defraggers interfere with
prefetch?

Rob

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

no the third party
software won't interfere
with the prefetch.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

i have some idea's but the real
experts are the team of "software
engineers at Microsoft".

further the "software engineers"
who developed your program
have also taken into account
"all" of the files associated
with the o.s.

"so there is no reason to look
a gifted horse in the mouth"

if you want to learn
more about that feature, then
you can query it at Microsoft.com

in closing, i doubt that your concerns
are warranted since windows
also has a defragmenter as well.
--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

frodo

well, many defraggers are aware of the prefetch and the "boot optimization
layout", and avoid defragging those files. some on the other hand don't
care and do "mess it up". If the prefetch info is no longer correct then
xp notices that and redoes it, so it's not a big deal. messing up the boot
optimize layout is more of an issue, but again not fatal.

For DiskKeeper, read it's help and on-line faqs to find out how it deals
with it - I'm sure it does "the right thing", they are after all the ones
who did the native xp defragger.

PerfectDisk disables the built-in background boot optimizer, and does it's
own booot optimize when you run PerfectDisk.

----

One of the keys to both operations (prefetch and boot layout) is allowing
the background operations to run; if your machine never "goes idle" then
they won't get a chance to run. Many folk turn on their machine, work,
and then turn it off, so it doesn't go idle. You can trigger idle
processing manually w/ this command:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

this will do two things for you: 1) it manages all the .pf files in
\prefetch, checking if they are still valid, deleteing old ones, and
rebuilding the layout.ini. Then, 2) if the reg flag is set, it kicks off
the background boot optimize function, which processes the layout.ini file
and rearranges files on the HD in the order described in layout.ini.
This increases boot speed and frequently-used-application launch speed.
If the reg flag is not set then you can trigger this defrag manually with
this command:

dfrag -b C: (or whatever drive letter).

The reg flag is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout]
"EnableAutoLayout"=dword:00000001

The GUI to this flag is avail in TweakUI, General | Optimize HD while idle

Note some defraggers do turn this flag off, as they like to do the
optimize "their way", so they turn off the built-in way so it won't undo
things. PerfectDisk does this (and does a slightly better job than the
built-in, as PD moves these files to the front of the volume).

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

~ interesting....

"wisdom does flow
from middle earth"

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

[...]

i tried the command you
provided:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

however, i have reason to beleive that
deleting the prefetch files with a simple
dos command is better than validating
each of them.

i suppose it is like that old saying:

"6 of one or half a dozen of another"

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Mark L. Ferguson

LOL

--
Mark L. Ferguson
e-mail subject line must include "QZ" or it's deleted
db ´¯`·.. > said:
well, smart people
know how to find
quick and simple
solutions.... thanks.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

.

all I have ever done is click on prefetch folder, then cntrl + A to
select all in right pane, and DELETE.

(e-mail address removed)

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ."
<databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com> wrote in message
hmm?, you are right!

i am sure that i had tried
the easier method you suggested
in the past but my system wouldn't allow
allow it - i wonder why?

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

.

do not need to use DOS command, you can delete the contents of the
Prefetch folder using Windows Explorer

(e-mail address removed)

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ."
<databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com> wrote in message
i tried the command you
provided:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

however, i have reason to beleive that
deleting the prefetch files with a simple
dos command is better than validating
each of them.

i suppose it is like that old saying:

"6 of one or half a dozen of another"

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

.

[...]

Zilbandy

::shaking my head:: I wonder just how big this thread will get?
Between posting with html and not trimming ANY quoted text, you guys
are incredibly *<insert negative comment here>*. I considered quoting
everything in my reply, too, but I'm simply not that inconsiderate to
those on dialup, or from other countries where Internet access might
cost by the minute.

Now, my comment is certainly off topic, and is definitely adding
bandwidth for a useless reason, but even so, it's still only 2% the
size and conveys my message.

Ah, another useless exercise in typing. Hey, not bad 64 words a
minute!

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

he is a good guy
and helpful and it's
on microsoft's dime
that i am using with