PPT crashes fatally when activating sound object

Michael Moser

I am trying to get PPT to play some .MP3 file when reaching a certain
slide. So I did "Insert => Movie and Sounds => Sound from File" and I
pick the .mp3 I want. I also said "yes" to the upcoming question
whether that sound should be played on entry to the slide or only when
clicking the icon.

But when I enter the slide or when I double-click onto the icon PPT
reproducibly fatally crashes with an alert saying

----------------------------
Microsoft PowerPoint has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience.
[] bla bla recover bla bla

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

[Send Error Report] [Don't Send]
----------------------------

My sound system otherwise seems OK, i.e. I can play that .mp3 file
using WinAmp and using MS MediaPlayer without any problem. I also
tried, whether make the mediaplayer my default player for .mp3's
would change things, but that wasn't the case.

This is on Win2K (SP4) with PPT 2002 (SP2)

Any idea, what I could do to fix this?

Michael

Austin Myers

Just a S.W.A.G. at this point, but I'd try updating to the latest version of
DirectX for Win2K.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

wy51386

What?

Michael Moser said:
[...]

Go to the Microsoft web site and download the latest version of DirectX for
your Operating System.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

wy51386 said: