PP template page size (7.5 x 10 vs 8.5 x11)

Joanna

Why are PowerPoint slides set up to be 7.5 x 10 versus
8.5 x 11? My manager wants to change our PP templates to
be the 8.5 x 11 size and I'm concerned that this will
cause us problems in the long run for future on screen
and printed presentations.

Can you help me with an argument on to why we should keep
the statndard size for our slides at 7.5 x 10? Or, can
you give me a peace of mind that changing our templates
to 8.5 x 11 would be ok?

Thank you for your help!

Bill Foley

Here is the way I look at it (which might be quite skewed, HA)!

By having your slide show set up to be 7.5 x 10 you are putting built-in
half inch margins. This allows you to take a title textbox with a
background fill to the edge of the slide, but it still prints out. If you
go to 8.5 x 11, your printer can't go to the end of the paper. Sounds good
to me, hopefully someone else will pipe in and confirm.

Christine

We actually take it a step further here. We were shooting
hard 35mm slides up until a few years ago and still do on
occasion. So everyone changes their slide size to 35mm
slides which is 7.5x11.25. When we print anything out we
just fit to page.

Works fine for us. AND.... The scientists that I work
with that jam way too much onto every slide have 1.25"
more space for more stuff!

Christine

TAJ Simmons

The scientists that I work with that jam way too much onto every slide

Surely not ;)

TAJ

he he he.... I could show you all NIGHTMARE slides. Hmmm how about a table, imported from Word with 20+ rows, 10 columns at 5pt font? Oh and the presentation was done in front of 3,000 people. :-

I had to work at getting them to do better presentations one scientist at a time ... it's taken close to ten years, but I'm about 85% there....:-

Christine

Bill Dilworth

There is also the issue of old vs. new slide sizes. If any old slides are
mixed with the new ones, there will be resizing issues to contend with.

The main importance of these numbers is in their ratio to each other, and
not so much as absolutes. The secondary importance of the numbers is the
size they will insert objects at .
--
Bill Dilworth, Microsoft PPT MVP
===============

Change org to com to defuse anti-spam,
ant-virus, anti-nuisance misdirection.
..
..

Glen Millar

Christine,
Works fine for us. AND.... The scientists that I work
with that jam way too much onto every slide have 1.25"
more space for more stuff!

That made me smile! Been there, seen it all!

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

TAJ Simmons

20+ rows, 10 columns at 5pt font? Oh and the presentation was done in front of 3,000 people
My personal favorite is the "slide from legal".....

The conversation goes on something like this....

Legal "This slide must be displayed"
Designer "But you won't be able to read it"
Legal "That's OK...Just project it"
Design ... Silent thoughts to themselves....

Cheers
TAJ

The conversation goes on something like this....

Legal "This slide must be displayed"
Designer "But you won't be able to read it"
Legal "That's OK...Just project it"
Design ... Silent thoughts to themselves....

OMG ...do you work here too??? :)

Christine

Steve Rindsberg

I had to work at getting them to do better presentations one
scientist at a time ... it's taken close to ten years, but I'm about
85% there....:)

What did you do with the bodies?