Page Setup settings not "sticking" in PowerPoint Handouts

G

I'm trying to print 3 slides per page handouts in PowerPoint XP. I print the slides to a PDF format, add a custom cover to the front of the presentation created in Word but printed to PDF, and then send the presentation to a commercial printing company. All of the PowerPoint handouts should print on Letter size 8.5 x 11 paper. When I go to Page Setup, it tells me that I'm printing on Letter size 7.5 x 10 paper. I've tried changing to 8.5 x 11 and saving but these settings don't seem to "stick" and the default size for the handouts reverts back to 7.5 x 10. I print to a PDF and indeed, the PPT part of the document is smaller than the cover. I tried just sending it to my commercial printer and they tell me they are having a problem with the file because my cover is 8.5 x 11 but the slides are 7.5 x 10. All of the PDF creation is done on the same machine using default Acrobat settings

Any suggestions for how to change this? Thanks

Erik Ruthruf
A23 Consulting

S

Steve Rindsberg

Erik Ruthruff said:
I'm trying to print 3 slides per page handouts in PowerPoint XP. I print the
slides to a PDF format, add a custom cover to the front of the presentation created
in Word but printed to PDF, and then send the presentation to a commercial printing
company. All of the PowerPoint handouts should print on Letter size 8.5 x 11 paper.
When I go to Page Setup, it tells me that I'm printing on Letter size 7.5 x 10
paper. I've tried changing to 8.5 x 11 and saving but these settings don't seem to
"stick" and the default size for the handouts reverts back to 7.5 x 10. I print to a
PDF and indeed, the PPT part of the document is smaller than the cover. I tried just
sending it to my commercial printer and they tell me they are having a problem with
the file because my cover is 8.5 x 11 but the slides are 7.5 x 10. All of the PDF
creation is done on the same machine using default Acrobat settings.

First off, try choosing File, Page Setup and set it to 8.5 x 11 instead of 7.5 x 10.
That might be all it takes.

If not, we'll need some more info ... getting PPT and Acrobat to behave re page
sizes can be more fun than having your toes gnawed by weasels. Other times it's not
such fun.

What version of Acrobat do you have, and have you downloaded and applied the
updates? Each version has needed updates to civilize it enough to sit at table with
the adults.

When you say "print the slides to a PDF format" what exact steps have you followed?
Depending on version, this might mean any of three or four different ways of making
PDFs.

Ask a Question