Power supplies with fan on top

Reaction score
Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the deal is with tons of after-market PSUs available with a huge fan on top, very few units now without that.

How are they supposed to fit in a typical tower case? I've never had a case with a vent in the top, are all these units supposed to be in the bottom of a case? Does that mean that configuration is way more popular than older PSU at the top of the case?

Just today, after seeing exactly what I wanted for a replacement PSU on a website for a local store (not a chain store), I went in, saw the exact model on the shelf, bought it and took it home. Then I discovered that a 1x1 " image on one side of the box showed the unit with that fan on the top. No change in model number from the one on the web site. The enclosed unit indeed had the top fan.

I've seen all kinds of kind of silly suggestions in past searches for information on this structure - drilling holes in top of case, putting in upside down (screw holes don't align, and tends to be pretty close to CPU).

Can one of these be simply plopped into a typical tower case? What is the story on them - if they need special case layout, why are they so popular, and "regular" PSU so hard to find? At least in Ontario, Canada!
:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
the fan, is always on the bottom, well it used to be, however, I do remember buying a replacement PSU some 6years ago that did seem to be reversed ... fortunately for me, I had a standard case which has a reversible PSU plate. :)

There are cases, and cases that are thought out by real people.

Take it back, or ask them where you free case is as it wasn't in the box. :D

Reaction score
the fan, is always on the bottom, well it used to be, however, I do remember buying a replacement PSU some 6years ago that did seem to be reversed ... fortunately for me, I had a standard case which has a reversible PSU plate. :)

There are cases, and cases that are thought out by real people.

Take it back, or ask them where you free case is as it wasn't in the box. :D

Nice one, sir!

I did take it back, picked up a lesser quality replacement and now PC is running a little quieter. Still looking to see what options are to have fans run at full speed only when hot, the board supports "Quiet Fan" but not able to turn it on the BIOS. Oh well. Living and learning!

Ask a Question