Power down

G

Greetngs fellows. Perhaps a brilliant individual can assist me.
I have two Windows 2000 Workstation PCs. They both have NICs and are connected via a crossover ethernet cable in a simple peer to peer network. The main PC also has a wireless NIC that I use to connect to my wireless access point thence to a cable modem. I use the crossover cable to the second PC to provide it web connectivity and so the PCs can share files without me having to buy another wireless NCI for the second PC. ICS is enabled on the main PC.

Now, I have both PCs connected to a UPS..the APC BACKUPS CS 500. This unit connects to a USB port on a PC and its software can shut down the PC properly in the case of a power outage. However, with two PCs I am running into difficulty. I have spoken with APC and they indicate it will not work to hook the USB cable from the UPS to a USB hub and thence to both PCs.
I am wondering if Windows 2000 has a tool that would allow me to hook the UPS to one PC and if the UPS software shuts down that PC, the other can be shutdown as well. Perhaps via a network command/script.
There is software to do this I know, but does Windows 2000 have anything builtin that could be used?

D

David H. Lipman

David C:

First let me say that your network can be GREATLY improved !

I highly suggest a Cable/DSL Router. This will allow one ISP IP to be shared amongst upto
253 PCs or TCP/IP compliant devices. Many have multiple LAN ports such as the Linksys
BEFSR41 which has a built-in 4 port 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet Switch. Other models are already
made wireless. These devices act as Simplistic FireWalls protecting your SOHO LAN from
Internet worms and hackers as well as a DCHP server to easily assign IP addresses to nodes
connected to the WAN side. There are also many more benefits. Each PC will need only ONE
NIC and is connected to a LAN port or via WAP.

The second is that low power standard UPSes are not capable of being shared. Those APC
Smart UPS devices that can be usually are 1KVA or more and use RS-232 ports. They often
have a module slot for an additional RS-232 port for a second PC. I have NOT heard of any
that can do this via USB.

Dave

| Greetngs fellows. Perhaps a brilliant individual can assist me.
| I have two Windows 2000 Workstation PCs. They both have NICs and are connected via a
crossover ethernet cable in a simple peer to peer network. The main PC also has a wireless
NIC that I use to connect to my wireless access point thence to a cable modem. I use the
crossover cable to the second PC to provide it web connectivity and so the PCs can share
files without me having to buy another wireless NCI for the second PC. ICS is enabled on
the main PC.
|
| Now, I have both PCs connected to a UPS..the APC BACKUPS CS 500. This unit connects to a
USB port on a PC and its software can shut down the PC properly in the case of a power
outage. However, with two PCs I am running into difficulty. I have spoken with APC and
they indicate it will not work to hook the USB cable from the UPS to a USB hub and thence
to both PCs.
| I am wondering if Windows 2000 has a tool that would allow me to hook the UPS to one PC
and if the UPS software shuts down that PC, the other can be shutdown as well. Perhaps via
a network command/script.
| There is software to do this I know, but does Windows 2000 have anything builtin that
could be used?
|

Ask a Question