Possible email scam or virus?

Anne W. Bradshaw Musser

I received this message in an email:
The Following patch update is recommended for all windows
users.
Win95,win98,winme,and winxp.
This patch is designed to block a major security hole in
all versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
All that is required is the attached file "installer.exe"
be downloaded to your computer once on your computer
use the search fucnction to find the file "installer.exe"
double click to install.
Once installed your computer will be returned to being as
safe as it was designed from the factory.
Thank you for your time and understanding.
Microsoft
Support Team
From this address:
From: "Microsoft Support team" <[email protected]>
To: "Muss Muss" <[email protected]>
Subject: Immediate attention required.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:30:35 -0400

With an attachment which I have not opened:
Installer.exe 16.4 kb

Is this from you or is this a scam?
Anne

Miha Pihler

It is a scam.

Microsoft never ever sends out a patches! Only links to patches and
knowledge base that is hosted on Microsoft site!

wstan

Go to the MICROSOFT UPGRADES SITE TO DOWNLOAD ANY PATCH'S
ONLY WAY TO BE SAFE!!! NEVER DO ANYTHING BY EMAIL!!!