Poor o2 Signal

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've previously had great customer service from o2, but I spoke to them using the online chat as I've been getting a really bad phone signal for months (as have others in the immediate area).

Even after explaining that it's not just me, they advised I wiped the sim card and then proclaimed that the issue was solved... even using this gem of a line when I questioned how that would work:

As we have removed the moisture that was obstructing the calls and texts

It looks like o2 aren't going to be much use as their coverage checker thinks that the signal quality here is fine, so aren't likely to do much about it. Is there any other way of boosting the phone signal? I've seen pico-cells/repeaters but they cost about £200 and I'm not sure if it's legal. Is there any other way of doing it?

Reaction score
Ive seen small aerials that stick the the back of or inside the phone.

I don't know if the increase signal strength however as never used them and they could just be BS

A bit like these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-BEST-M...682?pt=UK_Signal_Boosters&hash=item1e720ef4d2

There are codes you can enter into the phone on certain handsets which increase/boost signal strength as well. At a cost however, it drains the battery faster.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You did get a smartie phone that has an external aerial socket, didn't you? ... no? then ask them to remove all tunnels, wet trees, microwave ovens, scaffolding, hills and dense tall buildings, or, put another mast up near you. :)

next customer please!

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if the increase signal strength however as never used them and they could just be BS

Yeah, I was wondering about those sort of things, but they have an air of quackery about them!

You did get a smartie phone that has an external aerial socket, didn't you? ... no? then ask them to remove all tunnels, wet trees, microwave ovens, scaffolding, hills and dense tall buildings, or, put another mast up near you. :)

next customer please!

:user:

The odd thing is that there's a mast only 500m or so away from me and the signal strenth varies hugely from minute to minute, but drops calls even with 3 bars. It's the same with our neighbours too :confused:. Maybe it's something I'll just have to live with, but it seems unusual with a mast so close.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A college at work is in a similar situation to you with 3. He lives very close to the mast yet the signal is terrible for both him and his girlfriend.

They sent them out a new sim, which kind of helped, but not much, 3 says there is nothing wrong but they and others have all complained..... :/

Its still an ongoing issue which is 'being looked into' but god knows if anything will be done....

I think he is looking to move networks now.

Personally i would be to hopeful about those signal booster things TD linked to, they look likea right gimmick to me.

We have Pico cells all over the building here at work for Vodafone (they company's network of choice) They do wonders for the signal, i get full, fast 3G everywhere. Cant imagine them being cheap though....

One of the thing you could look at, if 02 do such a thing....

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-accessories/vodafone-sure-signal

Thats Vodafones Sure Signal. Maybe ask 02 if they have something similar? :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That box looks exactly what I'm after! I did some googling and it looks like there's such thing as an O2 BoostBox - hurrah! :D

Just need to see how much this thing costs!

Ask a Question