Windows XP Pls Help: Problems with IE 7

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you please help. I am having one too many problems with IE7.

1) Have already defined a default start page but despite this, everytime I start IE, it starts with a page having URL "http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx". But NOTHING happens on this page

2) In Gmail when I try to switch from basic HTML mode to standard mode, I just get a page with URL
"http://mail.google.com/mail/". Here too nothing happens and looks like I am forced to live with using Gmail only in simple HTML mode :(

3) Nothing which appears to have a javascript window or a download activity is not working. I have tried many websites including the one from where I was trying to download the Intel's chipset utility, but no download happens...Have tried refresh, starting all over again etc. etc. but Nothing

4) Have tried to reset all IE settings to default but still no solution

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a problem with javascript on your PC, as that would explain the first two issues too - you need to let the runonce script run the very first time, then you can disable it. But, if JS is disabled the redirect probably won't work.

Can you try this:

Go to the Tools menu
Choose Internet Options
Click on the Security tab
Check Enable Active Scripting, Allow paste options via script and Scripting of Java applets
Click OK

Does the JS on this page work for example:
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/EXPLORIT/java/JavaScript.html

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

All settings are as you have suggested.. The quiz URL seems lengthy so I'll try it later

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't need to do all the quiz items, I just picked a random URL with javascript on it - just try clicking on one link in there and see if it gives a JS popup :)

Reaction score
No nthing happens... I clicked on the very 1st one (under the OnClick Events section and labelled "1. Standard Link" but nothing....this is strange because I have downloaded and installed the Java thing too ???? :(

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Just wanted to share with you that a friend of mine helped me out and IE now appears to be working just fine (including the Gmail and other problems) after downloading and executing Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP.

Regards.

Last edited:

Ask a Question